Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2008, 10:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Is this Dangerous???

I have a natural Gas Hot water heater. It recently went out. I called a pro in to fix it. He said he could get it lit but that it would keep going out. However he showed me that if we took off the door and left it open it works fine. He said he couldn't leave it like this though and closed it up. But said I could go down and lite it and open the door and it could last for years like that. It works fine now. But is it safe?

It is a natural gas 40 gallon Hot water tank. Its about 2 years old. It has auto ignite. Where you just press down the knob and press in the ignite button to start it.

Tdoggy187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is this Dangerous???

This isn't the definition of a pro. Why wasn't it fixed? The recommendation of leaving the door open sounds stupid even if it's short term. Is he ordering a part?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,244

Is this Dangerous???

The reason for the door, is 1) It is a Flame Arrestor, and 2) It keeps flammables such as paper from entering the combustion chamber.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Is this Dangerous???

did he say what would caus e this sounds as its not getting enough oxygen in there to keep it going. but i dont know any thing lol
js2743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Is this Dangerous???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoggy187 View Post
He said he couldn't leave it like this though and closed it up. But said I could go down and lite it and open the door and it could last for years like that. It works fine now. But is it safe?
He could not ( Would not) leave it like that because he knows that this is improper, and did not want to be legally liabel. The heater is designed to operate with the door closed, for reasons as stated by others, so when it does not, that means there is a problem. Get another plumber, and erase this guy's number from your phone list.

At only two years old, it should still be under some warranty coverage, at least for the manufacturer's parts. Look for an authorized service rep for the particular brand, either by calling the 800 number for a list in your area, or looking on line for same.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 02-16-2008 at 12:04 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
hms
Remodeling contractor

Rewards Points: 25

Is this Dangerous???

Find yourself a reputable contractor to look at it. It is not safe or the last guy would have been confident in leaving it open himself. He is just covering his butt because he knows that is not right. If he didn't fix it, he didn't know what he was doing.
hms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is this Dangerous???

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Get another plumber, and erase this guy's number from your phone list.
better yet; keep this guys number and mark by it "DO NOT EVER CALL FOR SERVICE- HE IS AN INCOMPETENT YAHOO!!"

that way, you will never accidentally call this guy again.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Is this Dangerous???

Thanks Guys. Yeah I knew this couldn't be good. He did say something about it wasn't getting enough oxygen and this would help.

Tdoggy187 is offline   Reply With Quote