Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Damaged marble beyond repair?

I'm trying to figure out if the damage done during the installation of my marble slab warrants replacement of the slab, or if it is fixable.

It looks like the damage was done when they drilled the holes for the faucets. One of the holes is really thin, like it might break when we tighten the faucet to the slab. Also, I don't have (or want) the plate type faucets that would cover it. I specifically ordered the faucet to not have a plate under it.

The fabricator also screwed up with the edge. I was supposed to have a demi-bullnose with a laminated edge offset under it (which I am paying more for), but they didn't do the offset like they said they would.

Below is a picture of the damage that was done around the faucet holes.
What is your opinion...fixable, or have them give me a new slab?

argana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #2

Will your fixture cover that area of chip-out completely? If not, I'd certainly tell them that it's unacceptable. Were there samples in their showroom with holes drilled? You can point to those displays as the expected level of workmanship.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:47 PM   #3

Tell them to take it back. They cut the holes from the back causing blow out on the finished surface. Wrong edge profile too? Get a refund and go somewhere else, these guys are incompetant.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Even though the faucet base will most likely cover those pitiful holes, I would always have such poor workmanship in my mind. If they put the wrong edge treatment, the holes are a moot point, because you have every right to expect the top to be replaced with what you ordered, and be sure to mention that such workmanship is not expected on a top end product.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #5

Why the three holes if you were going to install a faucet without the plate? Looks to be an 8" spread. You would only need one hole.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote