Cutting Shingles To Install Gutters - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2004, 06:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

cutting shingles to install gutters

I need to install gutters along one side of my garage. However, when the garage was last shingled (before I moved in), the shingles were wrapped around the edge of the roof where the gutters would hang.

I believe I need to trim back the shingles to install the gutters. What is the best technique for this? Also, should I install flashing before the gutters go up, and how is that done?

I've installed gutters before, but I've never encountered shingles wrapped around the edge of the roof line.

Thanks

Advertisement

Chicago Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

this is a peculiar way to provide a drip edge, wrapping it downward onto the fascia.

On a warm day, preferably, cut as straight as a line as you can, about 3/8" out from the roof deck, so it hangs out past the deck, then put in a galvanized dip edge and slip it up under the roofing material. You may also have to cement it in, unles you can get a small roofing nail through the metal into the deck, UNDER the roof underlayment, or "paper". depending on how brittle the comp shingles have become with age, it may be a hard job to do well.

Advertisement

allencd@cox.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
SDC

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencd@cox.net View Post
this is a peculiar way to provide a drip edge, wrapping it downward onto the fascia.

On a warm day, preferably, cut as straight as a line as you can, about 3/8" out from the roof deck, so it hangs out past the deck, then put in a galvanized dip edge and slip it up under the roofing material. You may also have to cement it in, unles you can get a small roofing nail through the metal into the deck, UNDER the roof underlayment, or "paper". depending on how brittle the comp shingles have become with age, it may be a hard job to do well.
Something tell me the op will not see the post you made, it's only 4 1/2 years old
SDC is offline   Reply With Quote