Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
Checking things out

Share |

Cutting Masonite soffit flush against house

I'm replacing some Masonite soffit under the eave of my house and need to cut it flush with the brick veneer wall directly beneath it so I can install replacement 16" soffit in its place. The Masonite continues a few more inches beyond the brick and cutting the fasteners would affect more than just the soffit.

I think I've found a good way to do it - using a pizza cutter (the roller kind) to cut halfway through so it breaks cleanly when pulled down from the outer edge. However, I've already destroyed my admittedly light duty pizza cutter in the first couple of feet. Anyone have any recommendations for a tool that would accomplish the same thing without falling apart so quickly (or even a heavy-duty pizza cutter)?

Thanks!

-Mason

Last edited by masonbrown; 12-29-2013 at 01:00 AM.
masonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
DIY staff

A reciprocating saw with the blade mounted upside down would work--- work,

A multi-tool would work well,but the cost of blades might but high.

masonbrown (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Checking things out

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried using both a jigsaw and reciprocating saw to make some of the cuts, but with the framing to which the soffit is attached in the way every 14.5 inches, I can't really cut more than 7-8 inches before running the risk of cutting into the horizontal 2x4s or the ends of the 2x6 rafters. Granted, 7-8 inches is nice, but it leaves behind large chunks of soffit that (as far as I have been able to figure so far) has to be very carefully cut from below with a blade that won't accidentally penetrate the ~1/2" Masonite to cut into the framing.

In thinking it over some more this AM, I'm wondering if I could use an angle grinder (what blade?) or one of those offset-cutting blades (grout blade) for a reciprocating saw to better control the depth of the cut against the tight corner.

-Mason
Old 12-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #4

Can you post a picture of what your trying to do?
Old 12-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
Checking things out

Pics attached... Sorry, I should have done that in the first place.

Basically, I'm replacing almost every part of this overhang except for the framing (though I'll probably have to replace some of that as well). The shingles, decking, fascia and trim boards are all easy to remove. The soffit isn't because it extends into the structure, though if I can cut it flush against the edge of the brick I can easily install replacement 16" soffit in place of the masonite. I've found other sections of soffit where the masonite had lost much of its integrity due to moisture, so I'm choosing to proactively replace this span of soffit while I have the rest of the overhang torn apart.

In the photos, I've already removed the soffit on the far right though it was a pain to do just that short span. I have about 36 more feet to go at this point, which is why I'm trying to get creative to find a way to cut it flush against the brick without damaging the framing immediately behind it.

Thanks for the help, and let me know if I can further clarify the situation.

-Mason
Attached Thumbnails
Cutting Masonite soffit flush against house-img_8343.jpg   Cutting Masonite soffit flush against house-img_8345.jpg   Cutting Masonite soffit flush against house-img_8349.jpg   Cutting Masonite soffit flush against house-img_8355.jpg   Cutting Masonite soffit flush against house-img_8351.jpg  

Old 12-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #6

I'd use one of those oscillating multitools like oh'mike suggested, if you're only going to use it for this one job get a cheap one, use the blades up and toss it, about $20 to avoid a headache is a deal. You can cut flush with a surface and they are very controllable, you can feel them cut through and avoid cutting underlying layers.
ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatDaveGuy For This Useful Post:
masonbrown (12-29-2013), Msradell (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Checking things out

I've never owned one of those oscillating multitools before, but if it can help save me a bunch of the manual hassle in this case I'd definitely consider it money well spent. Thanks oh'mike for recommending it and ThatDaveGuy for reiterating that it's likely a good way to go in this case.

Hopefully, I'll get my hands on one in the next couple of hours and be back to post some good news later in the day!

-Mason
Old 12-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #8

just pull down on the front edge as far as you can,try to get the end of the panel loose and yank it out,go back and shear any nails over the brick with a flat bar
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
joecaption (12-29-2013), kwikfishron (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #9

pizza cutter?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #10

Nice for tight cuts... but pretty dangerous. I've had them rip out of my hands and come back on me.

Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #11

Those rafters are a mess, were cut completely wrong and should be redone. There just barely holding that roof up.
Should have been more like this.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=62
What's there for flashing up under the siding? All I can see is a tiny black line.