Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #1

Share |

Cutting a finished laminated counter top -

Here is a link for a technique (may be dated for better current tools) - what do you think -

http://www.onlinetips.org/cutting-formica-countertops

mmcdonald22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
DIY staff

Howdy ,Mark---I see you posted the link I asked for---Give me a minute to read it--

McDonald has an existing formica counter top that needs to be cut in place (post form)

He phoned me for help and I suggested that the experienced folks here would belly up to the bar and offer up some help.

Now jump in while I read his link---Mike----

Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
DIY staff

I read the article--nothing new or different there---Standard saw cut and finish with a jigsaw--

I think a test cut may show some chip out--I think cutting 1/8" into the waste and trimming to the line with a router might be the safest--then finish the cut with a multi tool for the back splash and top that the saw and router can't reach--

Has any one here cut a top that is already installed? This is my customer and he questioned my suggested method----

Any successful experiences? Recipes for spam will be considered--when the new stove fits into the larger opening---
Old 03-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
Not so new

Never had to do one installed. Usually do it on horses, upside down to minimize chipping.

The only thing I can add would be to score the line and stay to the waste side as mike said.

Finish with a belt sander.

Measure twice...hell, measure a half dozen times if you need to.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
DIY staff

This one sounds like a pain---I'll be the one making the cut--It's a long section with the sink---

OP doesn't want to disrupt the kitchen---I see this as a challenge and the ruination of about $30 in cutting tools---two Multi tool blades--one fine tooth skill saw blade and some wear on a router bit
Old 03-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #6

The worst part of doing this project is getting the edge flat enough to apply a piece of laminate edging. I have cut out plenty of sinks with a jigsaw, using a 10-14 tooth metal cutting blade. Metal cutting blades are tempered, don't overheat very easily, make a smooth cut without chipping, will cut far longer through hard materials and are cheap. Make sure to use masking tape and rub the tape hard to make sure it is stuck tight. I would make the whole cut with the jig saw because I trust that not to chip more than I trust a circle saw. At the wall, I would switch to a sawzall, again with a fine metal cutting blade, and punch into the drywall to saw up the backsplash. The drywall can be patched. You could finish the edge with a router to give a flat edge, but at the wall you will still have to hand sand that flat. I take belt sander belts and make an insert out of 3/4" wood that fits inside the belt tightly. I make bevels on both sides of both ends and force fit the wood into the belt. This makes a great sanding block. I have one at 36 grit and 60 or 80 grit. In the time you can set up a fence and run your router, you can clean up the cuts with these sanding blocks right to the wall. I also use an angle grinder with a rubber sanding backer pad and 36 grit discs instead of a belt sander for scribing counter tops and cleaning up cuts. Just make sure to grind with the direction going downward so you don't chip up the edge. Hope this help.
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I read the article--nothing new or different there---Standard saw cut and finish with a jigsaw--

I think a test cut may show some chip out--I think cutting 1/8" into the waste and trimming to the line with a router might be the safest--then finish the cut with a multi tool for the back splash and top that the saw and router can't reach--

Has any one here cut a top that is already installed? This is my customer and he questioned my suggested method----

Any successful experiences? Recipes for spam will be considered--when the new stove fits into the larger opening---
did one last week at a kitchen we finished top came in 4" to long over dishwasher end..it was open end..cut with jigsaw about 1/4 long belt sanded nice and smooth installed end cap...looks good..not bad if i say so my self...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
DIY staff

Job went fine---blue tape--60 tooth Skill Saw blade---multi tool for the back splash and end of cut--

No chips what so ever---

ben's plumbing (03-13-2012)