Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2007, 12:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Cutting a Concrete Patio

I live in Florida and we have a concrete patio in the back that is about 10' by 20'. It's think it's about 4"-5" thick. I basicall want cut a slight curve starting at the far corner and then the cut would continue along the long edge. This would basically be making the patio 9' by 20' after the curve was done.
Hopefully that description makes sense but my question is what would be the best way to go about something like this? It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult with the right tools so I'm looking for some ideas.

Thanks in advance

steve65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Cutting a Concrete Patio

Diamond Blade in a Saw. you could score it with the blade and Chip the rest down.... (if it runs right in to a planting bed)

mdlbldrmatt135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Cutting a Concrete Patio

That's a long way to cut with a diamond blade in a circular saw. It would take a long time and probably several blades. If you had a cheapo circ saw it would likely be ready for the trash when you were done too.

Best bet is to rent a masonry power saw.

They will cut curves if you get the technique right. I would practice cut in the waste area until I got the hang of it.

This is what you want to rent

http://www.stihl.us/construction/TS460.html

Check with rental houses, they will most likely have the Stihl brand for rent. Maybe others as well.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Cutting a Concrete Patio

I was thinking the masonry saw was the way to go...I just wasn't sure if there was anything better and or easier for such a long run like this. Thanks for the input.
steve65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 562

Cutting a Concrete Patio

A word of caution. If you twist the blade in the cut, you will likely lose blade segments. Those segments are dense and have an extremely high velocity. I have seen personally what they do to the forehead of the person holding the saw and the result was death. You do not make radius cuts with that type of saw; you make enough straight cuts to resemble a radius.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote