Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #1

Share |

Culligan Aqua-Cleer replacement filters - DIY?

I have a Culligan Aqua-Cleer ROI drinking water system and am having trouble finding any information on whether or not I can replace the filters myself. I'm thinking there is is little information because it's something that must be done by Culligan, but I'm hoping not. Does anyone have this unit and service it themselves?

The filters look exactly like this:

The filters I have are:

SEDIMENT: model SED10
CARBON BLOCK: model CB
REVERSE OSMOSIS: model RO30
TOTAL DEFENSE: model TD

For what it's worth, the manual states:

"It is recommended that you do the following annually:
1. Sanitize the System

2. Replace:
Sediment Filter
Activated Carbon Filter
Polishing Filter
Any Advanced Filtration Cartridge

3. Check:
RO Membrane
Flow control assembly
TDS Reduction Performance
Flow Rates (including air gap)
Drain tubing for back-up

NOTE:
The activated carbon, reverse osmosis, and polishing filter cartridges must be conditioned as follows prior to installation into the Aqua-Cleer system. Your Culligan man will do these important procedures at the time of purchase.
Activated Carbon Cartridge - 10 minute flush to remove carbon dust
RO Membrane - Minimum 24 hour flush to remove preservative solution
Polishing Filter - 10 minute flush to remove carbon dust
Perform the following steps in the order shown to sanitize
your system

It is recommended to have your local Culligan dealer perform the sanitization process. Your local Culligan man has been specifically trained to test the water quality and efficiency of the system in order to determine when the RO membrane should be replaced and ensure the system is working properly."

Thanks in advance!

liberty79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #2

bump...hoping someone from the morning crew might have this unit.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #3

I have the same system and came across your message while I was doing a search for the replacement filters. It is near impossible to find anything about this system online.

I did replace them myself once already, however I had to call the local distributor who installed the system and order the filters from them. At least I didn't have to pay for a service call. I am still hoping to find another source for the replacements this time, but I am starting to think I will have to call the distributor again.
morhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by morhous View Post
I have the same system and came across your message while I was doing a search for the replacement filters. It is near impossible to find anything about this system online.

I did replace them myself once already, however I had to call the local distributor who installed the system and order the filters from them. At least I didn't have to pay for a service call. I am still hoping to find another source for the replacements this time, but I am starting to think I will have to call the distributor again.
when you installed them yourself, did you just remove the old ones and pop new ones in?

this statement concerned me: "The activated carbon, reverse osmosis, and polishing filter cartridges must be conditioned as follows prior to installation into the Aqua-Cleer system. Your Culligan man will do these important procedures at the time of purchase."
Old 03-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #5

Yes, they just "unscrew" a quarter of a turn and then the new ones pop in and tighten. I seem to remember having a similar concern but being told not to worry about and just run the tap a little before using the water.
morhous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morhous For This Useful Post:
liberty79 (03-04-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #6

That's all conditioning is, I'd remove the airiator on the faucet, then run the water.
There's always going to be some loose charcoal knocked loose in shipment that needs to be flushed out.
? Why in the world would you need that complicated water system. Is your water that bad?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
? Why in the world would you need that complicated water system. Is your water that bad?
very bad. we have a whole house filter on the main line coming into the house, a Culligan softener system and a RO system at the sink for drinking water.

without the system, everything the water touches turns orange.