Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Creative uses for countertop granite scraps 1

I have come across access to scrap pieces of granite from a countertop installer. He said I can have all that I want because he just buries it in the ground.

I had a thread with all my plans and ideas in it, but it was too much. So I'm breaking down a couple at a time for anyone to comment on.

GRANITE:

Idea 1
I have some big pieces now that I plan to use for a bar/counter on my deck on both sides of my grill. One is 67"x18" and another is 52"x18" and a third is 36"x18". They are gorgeous. Still working out how to go about that. They have rough edges on one or two sides. I'm thinking of roughing them up all the way around and use em like that. I think its called a rock finish?
I have not decided if I wanna build it in like a cabinet for storage, or more like an overhanging bar which you could sit at and eat. Ideas? Suggestions?

Idea 2
Next idea, I wanted to use some where you step off the deck as a pad or walkway there. I've been reading about how to rough up these gorgeous stones. I'm hearing carbide sandpaper, torch and water (makes it look flamed I hear???), and using a sealer with sand mixed in.
Ideas? Suggestions? Sand between slabs? Grout between slabs? What is a "flamed" look?

I've also read the edges of the finished face are sharp and I'd need to dull those edges to keep from cutting your foot.

Idea 3
Next idea was to use all of the granite "backsplash pieces" as an edging for a flower bed which lies along the walkway to the front door. He has hundreds of "slivers" of stone that are about 4" wide, and anywhere from 6 inches, to 2 feet long, countertop thickness. Most of these are clean cut pieces. I'd use a hammer, and rough up the edges to a "rock finish" about 3 inches wide, and varying lengths, and then stagger stack them about 3 sections high as the edging to the flower bed such that from the side you have a "rock face stacked slab look and from the top you have a beaitful smooth surface finish.

Any suggestions or ideas???

Thanks for reading my post.

If I can clarify anything, please let me know.

Deck Plan. You can see to the left is where the fireplace would go. To the right is the grill with the granite chunk countertops.

Last edited by Rhizzlebop; 05-15-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Rhizzlebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Ouch! Ya might want to reverse that black background.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:10 AM   #3

Thought I'd bump this thread in case anyone who's interested might want to see it and add some input.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #4

If I could, I'd like to ask everyone to slow down their rate of responding to this thread. I simply can't keep up with all the great replies and information sharing
Old 05-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
the Musigician

just for you Willie. Po)

DM
Attached Thumbnails
Creative uses for countertop granite scraps 1-deckplanforumjpg.jpg  
Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #6

How did you do that Danger mouse? I work in the black background cause its easier on the eyes, but once I made the jpg, I didn't know how to change it.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizzlebop View Post
How did you do that Danger mouse? I work in the black background cause its easier on the eyes, but once I made the jpg, I didn't know how to change it.

Thanks
Not sure how DM did it..but you can make a negative of an image with a program called IrfanView...takes about a second. Its a free program and works well for resizing, minor edits etc.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
the Musigician

never liked irfanview...tried it a few times over the years. you can also use paintshop pro or photoshop, or, or, or, but i used www.photofiltre.com freeware version.

DM
Old 05-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

I'm in St Pete looking for a countertop for a furniture cabinet that I want to use in the bath. I need a piece 25" deep and 49" wide. any leads? Marble, corian, etc would be fine, neutral colors.
beachhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #10

I must say I'm disappointed in this thread. I thught someone finally replied to get the topic rollling but alas....no.

I still havnt decided if I wanna try and smooth cut the edges of my stone scraps, or leave them very rugh edges, (9rock faced)

And to the poster above, I wish you luck, but I personally don't see any countertop installer considering a piece 49x25 as scrap.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
the Musigician

beachhouse: you might try your nearest Habitat for Humanity ReStore as a possible source for your granite or corian top. i recently saw an entire kitchen's worth of granite at ours for a very reasonable price. we also have a 'wrecking yard' in our town that has tons (literally) of used home products cheap. although it'd be nicer if they were open more than one day a week!

DM

Last edited by DangerMouse; 06-01-2009 at 08:00 AM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote