Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #1

Share |

Creative Shower Sweep Idea Needed

Nice looking "walk-in", "curbless" shower has an issue... the gap under the frameless shower door is:

A) not consistent, varying from 9/16" on one side, 13/16" in the middle, and 11/16" on the other side
(SEE PHOTO BELOW)
B) larger than any sweep I can find.
C) allowing water to leak out under the existing, totally ineffective, standard sweep.

Here are the options I see... and would like to hear others:

1. The "Fill the gap with flange" option: I could find a sweep that had a 7/8" flange(s) and I could trim the sides to fit. So far I cannot find such a sweep. Max flange is 9/16" on the ones I have found. Does anyone know of a sweep with a long flange? Or perhaps I could modify an existing sweep by gluing a longer flange onto an existing sweep?

2. The "Level the floor to the standard flange length" option: Form a level "curb" with grout or ? on top of the existing (uneven) tile that will make the gap even and shorter to accept a standard sweep... this might be functional but will look and feel terrible to walk across.

Smarter minds are beckoned to assist.... thank you for your time in advance.

Last edited by Ellkay; 05-15-2013 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Trying to get photo to display
Ellkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Yeah, a pic would really help.

How to attach a photo to a post

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
Ellkay (05-15-2013), mae-ling (05-14-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 AM   #3

Here's a photo of the existing gap
Attached Thumbnails
Creative Shower Sweep Idea Needed-showersweep.jpg  
Old 05-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Lord of Slums

Typical problem for a frameless shower door. The tile guys do one job and the shower door guys do the other. More pictures would be helpful. Where is the drain? Do you have access from below? I would put a drain across the floor on the inside of the stall. I ave gotten more call backs on those frameless shower doors than about anything I can think of.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mj12 For This Useful Post:
TarheelTerp (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #5

Thanks for responding. The photo above is taken from the outside of the shower. The drain is a round drain that sits center, next to the back wall, pretty much under the shower head. The floor is appropriately canted.... if I were to run the shower with no one in it all the water would drain as it should. The problem is that as water falls on a body, it is deflected in all directions, one of those being towards the door, and since there is a significant gap left open by a sweep that doesn't meet the floor, that water pools out under the door.... every... time... someone... showers.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #6
www.inspectorzo.com

Send a message via Skype™ to InspectorZo
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellkay View Post
Nice looking "walk-in", "curbless" shower has an issue... the gap under the frameless shower door is:

A) not consistent, varying from 9/16" on one side, 13/16" in the middle, and 11/16" on the other side
(SEE PHOTO BELOW)
B) larger than any sweep I can find.
C) allowing water to leak out under the existing, totally ineffective, standard sweep.

Here are the options I see... and would like to hear others:

1. The "Fill the gap with flange" option: I could find a sweep that had a 7/8" flange(s) and I could trim the sides to fit. So far I cannot find such a sweep. Max flange is 9/16" on the ones I have found. Does anyone know of a sweep with a long flange? Or perhaps I could modify an existing sweep by gluing a longer flange onto an existing sweep?

2. The "Level the floor to the standard flange length" option: Form a level "curb" with grout or ? on top of the existing (uneven) tile that will make the gap even and shorter to accept a standard sweep... this might be functional but will look and feel terrible to walk across.

Smarter minds are beckoned to assist.... thank you for your time in advance.
Hey Ellkay,
Thanks for submitting your question. I found you a CRL Clear "T" Type Shower Door Bottom Seal and 1" Wipe on Amazon . Honestly, I think it'll bring you endless maintenance issues.
If you stand by your statement that water flows well inside the shower to the drain and not under the gap at the bottom of the frameless door, than the person in the shower simply diverts more water onto the door and therby assists the water to "escape" at the big gap. Have you simply tried to divert the water away from the shower door? Many exist but I like this one for your situation.
Please keep us posted as to your resolution and how it worked out.
Good Luck!
InspectorZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #7

In fact, the sweep you link to (photo attached) is very similar to what I already have on the door! See the black vertical line marked 3/8"? If that were about 15/16", we'd be good to go.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2013, 03:13 AM   #8

This looks like exactly what is on the door... the problem being that the little double vertical flanges on the bottom are about 3/8", and my gap is as mentioned above
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #9

How about taking something like this and bonding it to the tile with silicone? This particular trim is actually aluminum carpet edge. With the convex shape that tapers down to the tile, I would think that you would hardly notice it as you walk into/out of the shower. Its wide enough that you can get enough adhesive contact surface that it should bond pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Creative Shower Sweep Idea Needed-aluminum-trim.jpg  
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Lord of Slums

a puddle is always going to be there. Water setting on the floor is never good. Consider another floor drain. http://www.schluter.com/7957.aspx

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower door, shower door sweep