Create My Own Bull Nose Edge On Tile? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Create my own bull nose edge on tile?

I've heard I can give my standard wall/floor tile a rounded edge by using a mason stone to soften the edges. Does anyone know if this is true? What is a mason stone? Will I ruin the finish on my tile if I simply sand the edges a bit? I did a search on mason stone and didn't come up with any tools. Thanks

Advertisement

bmacdona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

As a rule on ceramic tile you can not. The vitrified portion is very thin, and bullnosing the tile will expose the softer more porous interior, as well as possibly removing/changing the color and texture.

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

BMacDona:

Instead of trying to put a bull nose on a regular field tile, you can also just do what thousands of other people do, and that's simply to put a filet of grout between the exposed edge of the regular tiles and the painted wall.

I did that in every bathroom in my building, and it looks fine. If you want to see pictures of what that looks like, post again.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

You don't mention what kind of tile. As stated, ceramic or porcelain wouldn't work. If it's a natural stone tile, you can use a honing stone:
Old 01-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
BMacDona:

Instead of trying to put a bull nose on a regular field tile, you can also just do what thousands of other people do, and that's simply to put a filet of grout between the exposed edge of the regular tiles and the painted wall.

I did that in every bathroom in my building, and it looks fine. If you want to see pictures of what that looks like, post again.
I would love to see pictures. Please send link or attach. Thanks
bmacdona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

The finished bullnose pieces you buy are glazed and baked. And these are what you should be using along that edge. You CAN accomplish this with the regular ceramic tiles, but it is tedious.

After you have ground the profile you want, polish it as much as you can with fine sandpaper. Then, there are three ways that I know to proceed.
  1. Paint the edge with epoxy paint.
  2. Just brush on clear epoxy. (It will give a shine, and just may match in color... though not likely)
  3. Mix in some appropriately colored dust from your grinding with clear epoxy, and paint the edge with that.
Just remember that this color will wear off from foot traffic over time, and have to be redone occasionally. But the same thing eventually happens to factory bullnose. Edges just do not like the grit on shoe soles.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #7

I am in the process of tiling my bathroom wall/ shower. My question: Where the tile meets the shower, should I have the tile touch it directly or have a grout line? I would like to avoid a bullnose tile because of limited space and cutting involved. If you have pictures of what you did I would like to see them.
Thanks,
Doak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,628

Now some of that stuff right there (above) is the worst advice I have seen in a long time on any Internet forum. It's no wonder this country is in the condition it is in.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

This clip will give you an idea of the kind of looks and colors you can acheive. She will show you how to mix the epoxy stuff up about half way through the video.

In this case, she pours it in a mold, but it paints well too. She uses glass beads, but any coloring dust (like your tile grindings will work)

Ignore the "installers" who tell you something cannot be none unless it is done with the factory pieces they happen to know about. Craftsmen will, instead, just go ahead and get it done.

There's a whole world out there most guys who pull up to your house in a pickup know nothing about. You just have to learn how to think outside the limited trades box.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #10

O.K. Bud, What is the proper advice. I look to this site often for hints and tips even on projects I may not even be doing. Just to Learn. Which tips above were bad and which were o.k. And what is your advice?
RobandStacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
You don't mention what kind of tile. As stated, ceramic or porcelain wouldn't work. If it's a natural stone tile, you can use a honing stone:
Of course you can do this with porcelain tile. The two baths I'm working on now have bullnose tile that this was done to by the manufacturer.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
...If it's a natural stone tile, you can use a honing stone:
Yup that works fine. And, if the tile has the tumbled affect, take a large lag bolt and drag along the cut edges. It will remove chips at an irregular interval and look almost identical to the factory edge. Touch up with the honing stone and no one will be the wiser.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #13

Ok here's one for ya. This is regarding the outside walls of a tile surround shower.
Has anyone ever tried to bullnose tile after the tile was installed? (e.g. creating a 90* corner with the tile. Allowing the thinset to cure, take a 4 1/2" grinder with a stone grinding wheel and carefully shape a bull nose.) I realize this will be a huge dust ball and probably more work than most would try and tackle.
Does anyone have experience in attempting?
Brownie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,628

It is easier and more controllable using a belt sander to soften outside corners in that fashion.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie75 View Post
Ok here's one for ya. This is regarding the outside walls of a tile surround shower.
Has anyone ever tried to bullnose tile after the tile was installed? (e.g. creating a 90* corner with the tile. Allowing the thinset to cure, take a 4 1/2" grinder with a stone grinding wheel and carefully shape a bull nose.) I realize this will be a huge dust ball and probably more work than most would try and tackle.
Does anyone have experience in attempting?
I cannot see this as a visual improvement to the job, regardless of the tile format.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote