Creaky Floor - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Structural Steel Detailer

Rewards Points: 10

Creaky Floor

The floor in just one room creaks when I walk on it. I am guessing it is between the joists and subfloor. I have access to the floor in the basement. Is there some way to stop the creaking? I have attached a picture of the floor from the basement.

Thank you,
Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Creaky Floor-basemet.jpg  

Advertisement

kypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Creaky Floor

I think so.

With regular floor joists, the squeeking noise you might hear when you walk over the floor is caused by both the subfloor and the nail (used to hold the subfloor down securely to the floor joists) vibrating as they rub against one another as you walk over the floor.

By preventing any relative movement between the subfloor and the nails holding it down, you should be able to eliminate any squeeking in your floor.

I would get under the area where you hear the squeeking, and see if you can slip pieces of paper between the tops of your engineered joists and the subfloor in that area. If so, see if you can slip something thicker, like playing cards between the tops of the engineered joists and the underside of the subfloor. Keep sliding thicker shims between the two, and you should notice a significant reduction in the squeeking noise as the relative movement between the two is eliminated.

Alternatively, you can also prevent the squeeking of the subfloor by changing the contact between the nail and subfloor from a rubbing contact to a sliding contact. If you can get some oil onto the nails holding the subfloor down in the area that's squeeking, then you can eliminate the noise by eliminating the rubbing contact that's causing the vibrations of the nail and subfloor both.

Advertisement

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Creaky Floor

Thanks for the tip Nestor_Kelebay, I may see if I can get access to my floor to try this out. I find creaking floors really irritating!
JohnDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Creaky Floor

I-joists are notorious for squeaking at the joist hangers, if any. Squirt some construction adhesive in the gaps between the hanger and the joist and then use a 1" long pan head screw at the hole in the underside of the hanger's saddle. The best framers are aware of this problem and will glob glue in the hangers before installing the joists to reduce squeaks.

If you have carpet at the location of the squeak, this is the product to use!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Creaky Floor

NESTER & KCTERMITE have very good remedies for the repair, which ever one you chose to use, It might be beneficial to get some PL-Premuim construction adhesive and run a bead along the side of the I-Joist and Subfloor connecting points. After the repair. But hold off on the oil.(tip warm the PL up and push the caulking gun along the joist as you run thr glue so to inject it into any voids that might be there. Good luck BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
Structural Steel Detailer

Rewards Points: 10

Creaky Floor

Thank you everyone for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
If you have carpet at the location of the squeak, this is the product to use!
I think these screws would work the best. I would think with the shimming the creak would come back eventually. The screws seem like a more permanent fix.

I found a website that sells this screw kit if anyone is interested.
http://www.123itsdone.com/

Thank you,
Jason

Last edited by kypper; 07-24-2008 at 05:40 PM.
kypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Creaky Floor

I know a lot of builders are successfully using that system for callbacks on floor squeaks. It is only for carpeted surfaces though.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote