DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Crazy Garage Extension, Building over blacktop?!?!

11K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  justdon 
#1 ·
Hello. I'm new to this site because I got this crazy idea and I'm wondering if it will work. I have a garage that is part of my house with the space above it being a large closet to our master bedroom upstairs. Out in front of the garage is a 50 x 50 foot area of relatively flat blacktop which leads to the street as our drive way. I was thinking about extending the garage to be able to park larger vehicles like RVs, etc. The existing garage right now is super high, at least 17-20" ceilings but with standard 7 feet garage door. The garage right now is a 3 car garage with a 2 car door and a 1 car door. The floor is standard concrete slab.

Is it crazy to build a huge garage extension over drive way blacktop? Would I have to cover it with concrete? would I have to tear up the backtop and pour a concrete foundation? I guess it would have to depend on how heavy my cars are... :huh::wink:

#5 ·
Just a dumb question

Will subdivision and city(if applies) 'setbacks' allow you to come closer to front ??? SOME say nothing in front of house. Do you have room for a driveway on side of house and another 'garage' in the back?? Some covenants dont allow those either,check twice, build once!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.