Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #1

Share |

crawl space vapor barrier

Our home inspector said we need to install a vapor barrier in the crawl space. I have been doing some research and have found some very different examples of what this looks like. I have found some example where the finished product looks like a place you could count as extra living space to just 6mil plastic on the dirt.

So whats the right way and is there any code i need to follow? I haven't seen any code. Is this even a diy project? I am in Kentucky.

frontflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #2

I don't know about a code for this but i get under new houses (awaiting final inspection) every week.
All I see is 6 mil spread out. Seams aren't sealed- it's just unfolded and rolled out

Old 09-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I don't know about a code for this but i get under new houses (awaiting final inspection) every week.
All I see is 6 mil spread out. Seams aren't sealed- it's just unfolded and rolled out
Do you see it up the walls at all or just on the dirt?
Old 09-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #4

Ask your inspector to show you some evidence it needs to be done.

If he insists, also ask if he knows of a business where you could get a sign to put on the front lawn that reads " TERMITES WELCOME " and for a chemical company to treat yearly let your fingers do the walking in the yellow pages.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #5

It's important to have a vapor barrier on the dirt.

You'll find much research at

www.crawlspaces.org

including how to attach it to your foundation walls in such a way that provides for termite inspection at your sill plate
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #6

What you need to do depends entirely on the code requirements where you live. For my house, built three years ago, the crawl space has six inches of gravel covered by 6-mil poly. The poly does not go up the walls. The gravel was required for the passive radon mitigation system, though I would've put it in regardless - I access the crawl space frequently to service the mechanicals down there.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #7

You must have a vapor barrier and any seams should all be sealed with air sealing tape. Also the vapor barrier itself should be sealed to the foundation wall. How high up the foundation wall is up to you. If you are not going to totally seal up (encapsulate) the crawlspace then just run the vapor barrier up the wall about a foot, but it needs to be air sealed to truly be effective. This keeps moisture and all kinds of other nasty stuff from getting sucked up into the living area. Shop around for the best price on the vapor barrier. You can do a 6 mil, but its best to do at least a 12 mil. It will last a lot longer.
RustyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #8

I didn't mention in my earlier post: I used StegoWrap for my vapor barrier.

It comes in, I think, 15 and 20 mil. It is incredibly tough and is a true vapor barrier, not just a retarder.

Unless you're driving cars in your crawl space, the 15 mil will be plenty tough.

I realize this is twice as thick as what most people use, but it works quite well.

I have no personal interest in the company who manufactures the product, or any jobber who might supply it.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #9

Here is a link to the fairly standard white type with a brief discussion also check the tapes: http://mycrawlspace.net/vaporbarriers.aspx I have used this type.

I have not used the Stego stuff but they have tapes too, but I don't think you can use their tapes to seal it to the wall or around your peirs: http://www.stegoindustries.com/produ...or_barrier.php
RustyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #10

Stego's tape is good, but you're right, it's for seams, not attaching to the foundation.

For that I used furring strips with light .22 cal loads over 2" XPS foam insulation.

Wear hearing protection! What ???!!!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #11

thanks everyone for the ideas.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontflip View Post
Our home inspector said we need to install a vapor barrier in the crawl space. I have been doing some research and have found some very different examples of what this looks like. I have found some example where the finished product looks like a place you could count as extra living space to just 6mil plastic on the dirt.

So whats the right way and is there any code i need to follow? I haven't seen any code. Is this even a diy project? I am in Kentucky.

Yes, it is DIY. You have your own state code, based on the IBC 2009; http://www.reedconstructiondata.com/...odes/kentucky/

Read 1203.3.2 here;http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic..._12_sec003.htm

An informative link; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ance-and-codes

Mouse-over the map; http://www.termites101.org/termite-b...ites-by-region

Radon locations; http://energy.cr.usgs.gov/radon/rnus.html

Gary