Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

craftsman snow blower

I have an older craftsman snow blower 5hp 22in electric start that I use last year. Pulled it out drained /changed oil, new spark plug but the machine wont kick over and run. It gets going for a second but conks out even if i adjust choke. I pulled out plug but cant tell if the primer button is giving gas. Any suggestions? thx John L

Harold L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #2

craftsman snow blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold L View Post
I have an older craftsman snow blower 5hp 22in electric start that I use last year. Pulled it out drained /changed oil, new spark plug but the machine wont kick over and run. It gets going for a second but conks out even if i adjust choke. I pulled out plug but cant tell if the primer button is giving gas. Any suggestions? thx John L
How old is the gas?
Did you drain the tank and carb bowl last year prior to storing it?

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
A Little Of Everything

craftsman snow blower

Quote:
Take the blower outside.

Drop the bowl off the carb, and let all the gas drain out. Catch the old gas in a pan or bowl, if you can.

Clean the bowl of the carb thoroughly. With spray carb cleaner, thoroughly clean the carb - especially the orifice at the bottom of the carb.

Put in new gas. Let enough of it run out the carb to flush out the crap.

Reinstall the carb gasket and bowl, being careful to get the correct seal.

You should be ready to go.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (11-20-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #4

craftsman snow blower

I let the snowblower run out of gas last spring. Changed the oil and a new spark plug installed the other day. John L
Harold L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #5

craftsman snow blower

Quote:
I let the snowblower run out of gas last spring. Changed the oil and a new spark plug installed the other day. John L
The carburator bowl stays full of gas, even when you let it run out of gas. The gas ages over time and leaves a residue on the needle which can hinder it's movement. You could have a simple hangup in the system.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #6

craftsman snow blower

Hi. I have to find the right light bulb number for my machine. It's a black and yellow craftsman professional thrower. 30 inch path. If anyone can tell me the bulb number off the bulb itself. That will be great. Thanks
Dss41696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

craftsman snow blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dss41696 View Post
Hi. I have to find the right light bulb number for my machine. It's a black and yellow craftsman professional thrower. 30 inch path. If anyone can tell me the bulb number off the bulb itself. That will be great. Thanks
Ayuh,... it'll be printed on the bulb, pull it, 'n Look...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #8

craftsman snow blower

Like someone else said sounds like the carburator has the float stuck. Essentially gas is not going to the bowl from the gas tank, because the float is also stuck. I have an older model where a "power screw" as described in the manual needs adjustment to help inject gas into the engine itself. Look at both of those and make sure they are adjusted and clean. This should help. Also check to make sure the Choke isn't stuck when adjusting it.
rj00005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #9

craftsman snow blower

Simple enough to see if it's stuck.
Remove bowl, gas should run it, lift up on the float and it should stop.
Far better to just remove the whole carberator and clean it.
All it takes is a tiny speck of rust to block the tiny oriface where it goes to the cylinder.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #10

craftsman snow blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Simple enough to see if it's stuck.
Remove bowl, gas should run it, lift up on the float and it should stop.
Far better to just remove the whole carberator and clean it.
All it takes is a tiny speck of rust to block the tiny oriface where it goes to the cylinder.
I am sure that after 2 1/2 years he finaly got it going.

This is the problem with people dredging up old posts to ask new questions. Now we have a post that has one guy looking for a solution to a hard start problem, one guy trying to find a light bulb and one guy complaining about it.

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-03-2013)