Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

craftsman garage opener

had a storm move through last night, at most, lights blipped a little, meaning micro clock had to be reset but stove clock was okay. Garage door opened from wall control friday evening. today, it just blinks rapidly. Door will work with the remote, no problem. Found manual on line, for said problem, if light is NOT on at remote, remove remote wires, place a wire on said two screws, see if door goes down. Yes, it went down, only my light was blinking at the remote. If all went as stated, there is a short in the door sensor or wire. I'm asking if I should just replace as I go,, first the wire, then sensors, then wall control...... I really, really like having the use of the wall control. Thanks for any input.......

Old 07-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #2

craftsman garage opener

Remove the wire from the wall control and touch them together. If the door goes up, the control needs to be replaced. If it doesn't, remove the wires from the opener and install a pigtail and try touching them together. If the door goes up, it's the wiring. If nothing happens in either case, the circuit board in the opener might have a blown component.
Electronics are susceptible to electric storms. You can install a whole house surge protector to help reduce costly events. I would also install individual surge protectors on items that are at risk. It's cheap insurance.
Repairing or replacing the unit might be in the cards, depending on it's age.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
DUDE! (07-24-2010)
Old 07-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #3

craftsman garage opener

Thank you Sir for your help and quick reply. I had jumped the wires off the head and the door would open. Hadn't thought to jump them off the wall control,, when I did, the door would work, so I'll order up a new wall unit. The day has just gotten better,,,,,, thanks
Old 09-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #4

craftsman garage opener

after some confusion on whether I actually ordered the part or not, the new wall control unit arrived. I put it on and presto, back in business. Thanks