Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #1

Share |

Craftsman garage door opener - no power

we have a 2-light door opener which was working fine. Then it would stop opening or closing the door, and the green light on the wall console would flicker. Eventually it got worse, and then finally stopped completely. Tried replacing the wall console, but no impact. Electrical supply is fine; we run a second door opener from the same outlet. Any thoughts as to cause?

rosco_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #2

Misaligned sensor lights at the bottom of the doors.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #3

does it open easily by hand ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #4

I have the same problem with mine. It appears to be a power problem. The light bulbs also go out when it happens and it makes a relay clicking noise when it goes off or on. It is intermittent. I've seen it click off while just sitting there doing nothing. Sometimes bumping the unit with your hand will make it come back on. I checked for loose wires, connectors and bad solder joints on the PCBs but found nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
outflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #5

The relay clicking...are you sure it's not the lights flashing? When you hit the button to close it, it checks the sensors...if no obstruction, the door goes down. If there is an obstruction....it flashes the lights and pulls the door up.

rosco....does the opener make any noise at all?

How old is the opener? If more than 10 years old....might be time for a new one....if this is a roll up door....might want to look into other units....one company makes one that mounts on the wall to your torsion bar....gets rid of all the clutter on the garage ceiling. I keep hoping mine (screw drive) will die so I can go with the new style.
jeepdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdawg View Post
The relay clicking...are you sure it's not the lights flashing? When you hit the button to close it, it checks the sensors...if no obstruction, the door goes down. If there is an obstruction....it flashes the lights and pulls the door up.

rosco....does the opener make any noise at all?

How old is the opener? If more than 10 years old....might be time for a new one....if this is a roll up door....might want to look into other units....one company makes one that mounts on the wall to your torsion bar....gets rid of all the clutter on the garage ceiling. I keep hoping mine (screw drive) will die so I can go with the new style.
Thanks for the reply.

This unit is only 2 or 3 years old.

When I hit the button to close it, nothing happens. It is dead, no power. When it is alive, it works fine.

It is not behaving like a sensor problem. The sensor LEDs are always correctly lit. The motor will not run and the light bulbs will not light. If the failure happens to occur during operation, the door just stops and the lights go out. It does not behave like an overload or something blocking the sensors. It does not stop and reverse direction. It does not stop and flash the lights.

I checked the AC power to the board when the problem was ocurring. There is 120VAC at the connector on the small circuit board in the unit when the failure is present. I think it is the board.

When the failure is present, the symptoms are:

No operation.
No light bulbs lit.
No green LED lit on wall mounted unit.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #7

Outflyin.....can't find anything wrong with your troubleshooting....sounds like you covered the obvious things.....

If it was me...I would be pulling off the control board and looking for a bad solder joint or bad cap (swelled up or leaking)....other than that....sounds like it's time for a new one....
Old 08-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Outflyin.....can't find anything wrong with your troubleshooting....sounds like you covered the obvious things.....

If it was me...I would be pulling off the control board and looking for a bad solder joint or bad cap (swelled up or leaking)....other than that....sounds like it's time for a new one....
Did a quick inspection of both boards yesterday, but couldn't find my good magnifier. Have the board in front of me again now with my good magnifier and can see some questionable solder joints. They really don't look that bad. I've seen lots of bad ones where I can say there's you're problem, but these are just slightly questionable looking. I will resolder them. All the components on the board look perfect physically.

When you say time for a new one, what exactly do you mean?

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by outflyin View Post
Did a quick inspection of both boards yesterday, but couldn't find my good magnifier. Have the board in front of me again now with my good magnifier and can see some questionable solder joints. They really don't look that bad. I've seen lots of bad ones where I can say there's you're problem, but these are just slightly questionable looking. I will resolder them. All the components on the board look perfect physically.

When you say time for a new one, what exactly do you mean?

Thanks.
New opener.....I wish mine would die....it's a craftsman screw drive....I want to install one that mounts on the wall and drives the torsion bar directly....that way I get all the junk off the ceiling.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
New opener.....I wish mine would die....it's a craftsman screw drive....I want to install one that mounts on the wall and drives the torsion bar directly....that way I get all the junk off the ceiling.
That's what I figured, but thought maybe new board since this unit is still very new. I know what you mean about getting the junk off the ceiling, and mine truly is junk. Where do you get the wall mount ones? I saw them somewhere.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by outflyin View Post
That's what I figured, but thought maybe new board since this unit is still very new. I know what you mean about getting the junk off the ceiling, and mine truly is junk. Where do you get the wall mount ones? I saw them somewhere.
I hope I don't get busted for this....don't want it to be construed as spam...

I have my eye on a Liftmaster 3800...do a search...

With that said....I have 'heard' that they work better if you have a door that keeps constant tension on the cable....

Worth doing a search...
Old 08-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #12

I've seen them mentioned before on here. Amazon has them for about $300. A bit pricey, but looks like a good way to go if it fits.