Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #1

Share |

Craftsman Garage Door Opener Isn't Working Right?

I have a Sears Craftsman Half horse opener, and just recently, whenever i try to close the door, it goes down maybe about 2 inches, then back up. Or, it goes down all the way if you hold down the button, but as soon as i release the button on the remote or inside the garage, it goes right back up. It's really agitating me. Any advice for me? Oh, and its around 10-15 years old. Thanks for the help.!!
TimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #2

Tim,
Check your electric eyes. It sounds like they are not seeing each other. When this happens, the opener thinks there is something in the way, so when you try to close it, it will automatically reverse itself. If you hold down the wall station button it will override it. But that's not the answer. Make sure the eyes are lined up and clean the lenses with a damp towel. They can get a buildup of dirt on them. If the eyes are seeing each other, each one will have an led light that will be lit solid and not blinking.
Also, check your clutch adjustment. It will be labeled something like 'down force'. If it is set on too light a setting, the opener thinks it is hitting something and wants to reverse itself. Let us know what you find.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #3

yep, sounds like maybe the sensor eye adjustment is off.
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #4

I agree with the others - mine does similar when I have inadvertantly left something blocking the sensors, they have crud on one side or the other, or have gotten knocked out of alignment with one another.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #5

Agreed, check the sensor lenses and alignment. And I might mention something I've found more than once in the past. Seems those brackets and wires collect a lot of cob-webs and dust. Please refrain from using a water hose to clean them off.....

Second, would be to disconnect the opener from the door with the emergency red cord. Then try to manually close the door. If it functions normally then the problem is in the motor/drive assembly. The clutch may be slipping as mentioned but they don't usually need adjustment unless the opener is required to push harder than it did yesterday. So something changed or is binding.

Oh yea, and since your opener is the largest mechanical/electrical device in the home it can get a bit tired after 21,900 cycles (that's 2 open/close cycles a day for 15 years) it might just be time for a new one.