Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Cracks in new concrete - IMPORTANT

Hi folks....

I recently (1 month ago) had a large pad (24x26 feet) concrete pad poured for a floor of a pole building workshop. There are 2 hairline cracks developing about 10 feet apart from each other and about 6-8 feet long. They both are running the same direction laterally (24 feet across dimension). Though I was not present when they poured (contractors) wife tells me they put down rocks and rebar.

Any comments or thoughts concerning this? what can be done at this stage to minimize? what do I need to look out for?

any feedback is appreciated.

MeanGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Got any pics?

snowcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Hairline cracks aren't an issue until they begin to separate either vertically or horizontally.
What size of rebars? What spacing? How thick is the slab? Was the bar centred in the slab?
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

These new cracks are not in the control joints already cut? http://www.nrmca.org/aboutconcrete/cips/06p.pdf

Gary
Old 10-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,136

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say the cracks developed right off of the posts, which is ironically where the control joints should have been cut.

We always isolate the posts with expansion material, to allow the slab some movement when it's shrinks, and still cut control joints.

24' x 26' is far too large for no joints, unless it's over a foot thick and had a great cure.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote