Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #1

Share |

Cracked sink

Is there any product that will seal a crack in one of these sinks? i know there is a lot of stuff on it, but its a one-piece shell-shaped sink, i think its made of fiberglass. Its not this exact sink, its actually the one in the master bath that is about 4' long, with a shell-shaped sink.
Attached Thumbnails
Cracked sink-2nd-bath-2.jpg  

firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #2

Cracked sink

pretty sure the only way to fix a shell shaped sink is to hit it with a sledgehammer a lot.

if money is tight, then there are numerous resins that should do the trick.

jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #3

Cracked sink

I'm sure somebody more in the know will have a different solution , but J.B Weld works well in a wet enviroment. The difficulty is that it dries to a hard steel gray. According to the picture shown the state of the bathroom may not be a huge concern ( just telling it like I see it..no offence intended)
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #4

Cracked sink

Yeah if it was this sink id agree with you, but its not. Its the sink in my master bath, which looks just like this except its longer. Made of the same material though. THis particular sink is going to be thrown away
Old 09-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #5

Cracked sink

Time for a new sink I'm afraid,
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #6

Cracked sink

try some epoxy
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
jschaben

Cracked sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeremode View Post
Is there any product that will seal a crack in one of these sinks? i know there is a lot of stuff on it, but its a one-piece shell-shaped sink, i think its made of fiberglass. Its not this exact sink, its actually the one in the master bath that is about 4' long, with a shell-shaped sink.
I dunno if this stuff will work but for $5 may be worth a try.
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/marine.htm

I've had pretty good luck with Eclectic products. It dries clear and is formulated for marine use. Downside is a 48-72 hour cure time. I'm pretty sure it's available at WalMart and ACE hardware.
Picture of the crack itself would be handy..pictures with a caption that goes "it looks like this only different" aren't really a lot of help.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"

Last edited by jschaben; 09-26-2012 at 05:31 PM.
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Bombastic Idiot

Cracked sink

creep, I don't think you have offended her, she's in a near desperate situation, housing wise. So desperate that she has followed my advice!!!!
First, I hesitate to say this, I just tossed a 4ft Corian shell sink/counter, it had been hanging around the shed just too long. It was a really ugly yellow though.

Is the crack in the actual sink or counter top? Counter top is easier, but not exactly easy. I can post some links to repairing top, rather than bore you with my interpretations of them.

If the sink, I don't think i can come up with some weird off the wall idea, like shelf liners for windows, here. Any temporary fix that is worth doing is gonna be skill intensive and mite cost as much as replacing the counter and sink for about $70.

We sure need to see pics of that crack from different angles with something along side for size comparison. A pic of bottom side would be nice too.

I can't tell but that may be a Corian or similar counter. It may be fiber glass. What does the bottom look like? Does it seem to be solid, almost stone or china like, when you rap on it and heavy or is "less solid" not exactly hollow sounding and lighter with a rougher cloth pattern bottom?

JB Weld or other epoxy might fix it, might be a colored epoxy that would be close match, Du pont does make epoxys for tops and a true industrial strength "Crazy Glue.". Any temp patch is gonna look less than beeeyootiful. Sink is gonna need some bracing and support. If fiberglass, that part is easy. Fiber glass repair kit for $20 or so, any big box including Wally World. In fact we could probably seal crack from bottom of just about any sink with fiber glass. Still leaves the crack up top. That needs to be filled to prevent leaking, and cleanliness and appearance. The crack has to be clean and dry, build up epoxy in layers instead of thick fill.

I'll wait for more info and pics, please, B4 going any furthur.

Anybody got any thoughts on finishing fill with Bondo auto body type epoxy, sanding smooth and using sink refinishing kit?

Here's links to HD cheap sink, counter. I got a metal lav sink that size, don't think its got any chips, if you're up this way any time soon. You'd spend more on gas than on new one at HD.
http://www.homedepot.com/Kitchen-Cou...&storeId=10051

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bathro...kuId=202621380

Them rock chunkin' boys attack your sink too?
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Cracked sink

You could do some fiberglass repair work including gel coat just like on a boat hull. Epoxy repair material is another possibility and you can tint it to come close to matching.

Frankly though? Neither fiberglass and resin or epoxy is cheap. I think you will soon find materials you buy to repair the crack will quickly exceed the cost of an inexpensive counter and sink.

Do you have a Habitat for Humanity near. They always seem to have counters and sinks of that vintage laying around.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
DexterII (09-28-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
Bombastic Idiot

Cracked sink

Latest word from first is that sink may just be scratched. Pouring bucket of water in to check for leak has been suggested. ( We got ESP connection) If hairline crack, may not be hard to fix. But glad to see someone agrees that total replacement may be cheaper. First is out in booneys of East Texas Piney Woods. Haven't pinpointed exact location, name of nearest town would be helpful, first. Don't know where nearest Hab store is.
Actually latest word from first is using sledge to remove door knobs. It worked. first
Old 09-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #11

Cracked sink

what about just clear epoxy? Wouldnt that provide a watertight seal since its just a crack and not a hole?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
Bombastic Idiot

Cracked sink

A hole would be easier to patch than a crack. Problem with crack is, weight of water in basin will want to make it spread, that's why you may need strips of fiber glass across it on bottom. So it is a crack all the way through? How wide and how long? On bottom or up on side? sdsester mentioned tintable epoxy, try auto supply or boat shop. Old Corian counters are often spotted on junk piles and dumps, if you frequent such places. Salvage yards and building wreckers pro'lly have some. They can be cleaned and polished.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #13

Cracked sink

yes its a crack, all the way through. its about half an inch up from the drain hole, towards the faucet. its about two inches long, and the sink is definitely fiberglass. I would like to repair it if i can, because even though replacement could be cheaper, removing this thing is gonna be a pain, especially by myself
Old 09-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #14

Cracked sink

Sdsester's suggestion on Habitat is a good one; It looks like Longview has Restore, and I would not be at all surprised to learn that you could buy a good sink there for less than you would spend on repairing your existing one.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #15
DIY staff

Cracked sink

Our local Restore sells vanity tops for $10 to $15-----