Covered Porch - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Covered Porch

Hi, I want to tear down an existing 3 season room and build a new covered porch on the back of my house. I am concerend with connecting both the deck and the roof to the existing house wall because it is half brick, and half siding. I have also heard that it is not good to tie a ledger through the brick and into the joists because the brick can be damaged by the compression.

If I build a freestanding covered deck, can I still install flashing between the new roof and the house wall? Won't it just break seal when the deck settles/wood expands and contracts each year (Pittsburgh)?

Thanks for any advise!

http://img156.imageshack.us/i/201102...odside211.jpg/

Advertisement

Last edited by jsbeckton; 03-03-2011 at 09:28 PM.
jsbeckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Covered Porch

Freestanding means just that, it can't connect to the house. But I am sure there are ways to connect everything to the house. The new room needs proper footings, and a plan.

I should assume you have a permit and approved plans, or at least plans that can be approved. Obviously not. Many areas of the country require permits to remove as well as build. Some even require permits to change your mind.

When I tried to open your link, my computer was attacked but blocked by Norton. Other viewers use caution.

Advertisement

Last edited by Just Bill; 03-04-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #3

Covered Porch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Freestanding means just that, it can't connect to the house. But I am sure there are ways to connect everything to the house. The new room needs proper footings, and a plan.

I should assume you have a permit and approved plans, or at least plans that can be approved. Obviously not. Many areas of the country require permits to remove as well as build. Some even require permits to change your mind.

When I tried to open your link, my computer was attacked but blocked by Norton. Other viewers use caution.
I am not looking for a structural tie to the house, I am looking for a way to keep water from running in between the house and the "freestanding" new roof, if there is such a way. If not I will look into a ledger.

Obviously I do not have approved plans or I woudln't be asking this question..... I am doing my homework.

Image shack is the most commonly used picture host site on the internet and did not "attack" your computer. You may have your Norton settings too high.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #4

Covered Porch

If I were to make a freestanding gable roof not tied in, what supports the lateral load on the rafters? (i.e. in the direction of the ridgeboard)?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Covered Porch

From your photo I notice that your neighbor has a hip roof on his!
It appears that it uses a brick mounted ledger board.
A verticle load on the brick work isn't likely to be a problem. There would of course be a horizontal compression problem. of course.
However, this could easily be remedied by using sleeves for the lag bolts.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote