Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Couple of Questions~Boom Lifts

We (my family and I) are considering re-painting the outside of our home. It is 2 stories high, so we will need some type of boom lift or somethin' to get the job done. I have a couple questions: 1) We have a concrete side-walk that wraps around our home and we were wondering if the concrete would be tough enough to hold the lift or if it would crack under the weight? 2) Will the boom lift do serious damage to the landscaping/grass and if so, is there something we can put down that will prevent damage (like planks of 3/4 in. plywood) ...or is it kind of inevitable?

Any advice that y'all can give me, would be much appreciated...Thanks : )

LeiselSpafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,066

The only person to answer the questions is the person the supplies and uses the "boom lift" the job you have in mind. - The higher the height of the work and the further the reach, the more the load on the critical wheels will be that causes damage.

A scaffolding might be an option.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

You have pretty much answered all of your questions. Most people use scaffolding or just ladders when painting.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,184

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiselSpafford View Post
We (my family and I) are considering re-painting the outside of our home. It is 2 stories high, so we will need some type of boom lift or somethin' to get the job done. I have a couple questions: 1) We have a concrete side-walk that wraps around our home and we were wondering if the concrete would be tough enough to hold the lift or if it would crack under the weight? 2) Will the boom lift do serious damage to the landscaping/grass and if so, is there something we can put down that will prevent damage (like planks of 3/4 in. plywood) ...or is it kind of inevitable?

Any advice that y'all can give me, would be much appreciated...Thanks : )
That’s going to depend on lots of things such as what lift you need, what obstacles are there in your yard, slope of yard, how soft the soil is and who is running the lift.

I’ve drove fairly large lifts over sidewalks without issue but might not be as lucky with “your” sidewalk. I’ve managed lifts through nicely manicured yards over doubled ¾ ply without incident but the wrong operator could easily trash a yard, plywood or not.

It’s pretty rare for a lift to be necessary to paint a house and if you needed it for 3 or more days you could easily buy a couple of nice ladders with standoffs for less than the cost of the lift.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,062

Buy or rent some ladders or scaffolding. That'll likely cost you less than just the delivery charge for a lift.

Any lift would be overkill just to paint your house. I used a 40-ft all-terrain unit when building my log house, and maneuvering it around trees was a pain. If you are spatially challenged, they are a bear to drive.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 11-09-2011 at 08:40 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote