Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Cost Estimate on Modest Home Build. Yes...Estimate!

I understand the stipulations with posting anything related to 'how much is this going to cost' and that a contractor should be contacted if anything. The thing is that I would like to have as little of work done by contractors and instead by myself and a few carpenter friends. They have been doing construction for many years, but they are outdated on costs and no longer do framing or rough in construction.

Lumber Yards: Menards and Lowe's (and others, but prices are all competitive and none seem out of order)
Lot : Flat Land, Mostly clay soil, no rocks, it's just outside of city limits, but applies to ordinances
Permits : All would need to be pulled

Please be patient and read the description to get an idea of my roots.

House Design would be modest and when I say this, I mean four corners, 1 story with a poured wall basement (I'm thinking 7.5' or 8' walls in the basement) dimensions divisible by four and most likely 28' wide x32' long, long side has southern exposure, economic choice windows, no attached garage, no fancy siding, no fancy shingles (or metal if I went that route), no fancy trim, unfinished basement for years to come, no master bedroom or bath, cheap cabinetry or home-made (not expensive custom, simply sheets of plywood and maple wood turned into cabinets).

The work that would be contracted/hired out would be the basement excavation and foundation, plumbing to septic and well, and possibly parts of framing that can not be done by just a few guys.

If I could get just a rough idea of what size of loan would be needed that'd be great. If I did not provide enough information and you're willing to toss in an estimate with more information just let me know.

AlphaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,340

Are the well and septic installed already?

Gas and Electric/ cable tv.?

Can trusses be used for the roof?

Have you found a set of plans that is similar to your finished product?

Square footage?

quality of windows?

Type and quality of siding?

Interior finish quality? Good cabinets and trim or low quality?

Carpet and sheet vinyl/ hardwood /ceramic ?

Need more info----

Old 04-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #3

I will reply with more info shortly.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

I could do it for a six pack, some bailing wire and some pallets. Cost, I would have to charge you around $10,000,000,000.00.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

"How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.

Providing you with any sort of guestimate is really not helpful and is, in my opinion, dangerous. I would check comparable real estate listings on new construction to get a better idea of what a new home might cost you. Or use one of the smartphone or online calculators that will prompt you through ALL the variables. We will be going back and forth for pages.

Do make sure you check ahead of time to see what work you can do on your own and where you will, for sure, need a contractor. Make sure you can line up sub-contractors that will work for you as the GC on this.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #6

Mike, my answers are in bold font. Thanks for taking time to ask the questions.

Are the well and septic installed already?
No, the well would run about 5-$8,000 and the septic system should be under $5,000. There was a well installed nearby without problems, I believe it was somewhere around 200' this location is the same soil not even 300 yards away.

Gas and Electric/ cable tv.?
I would like to have gas hooked up from the city line. If the cost were astronomical, I would go propane or all electric appliances with a wood burning stove. Electric would be off the city line, which goes by to more housing down the road. Not sure why cable tv. would come in to play (maybe trenching?), but for the time being no.

Can trusses be used for the roof?
I do believe so. (Is there cases where it can not be?) I think it would be Gable standard 5/12 slope and nothing custom since width is under 32'

Have you found a set of plans that is similar to your finished product?
Somewhat. A lot of houses are master this, master that, and unused space here and there. My layout was based on what I deemed logical.

Square footage?
Well 32x28 upstairs would be outside walls I imagine so inside would be roughly 31x27 so 837 inside sq footage, basement would be similar but it would be all unfinished space.

quality of windows?
I was thinking Anderson 100 series or similar vinyl casings like Menard's Crestline series.

Type and quality of siding?
Open to suggestions. Don't really like how Vinyl doesn't mix with hail. We get hail once in a blue moon. I hear good things about the 'smart siding'. I like the quality of stucco, and would be able to do all of the prep work aside from the actual stucco job, as that takes skill. I also like ceder siding, though I assume it's out of my low cost range.

Interior finish quality? Good cabinets and trim or low quality?
As I said earlier, nothing fancy. I believe wood in general has quality, I understand oaks hold up better than poplar, but in the cases or trim and cabinetry, cheap stuff that works. I'd like to hear what you think would be good, or what would be low quality?

Carpet and sheet vinyl/ hardwood /ceramic ?
I'd like to have the bathroom and kitchen be tile, porcelain most likely, and installed by myself. All other rooms would start with cheap carpet padding and carpet until later on installing hardwood myself.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Have you looked into prefab? Doesn't have to look like ugly boxes.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Have you looked into prefab? Doesn't have to look like ugly boxes.
Yes and no...I like the idea of using preset plans...but I also prefer my own customization and the ability progress as I go with funding rather than one large chunk.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,078

New houses in the United States go anywhere from $100 per square foot (house only, does not include site work like road, septic, well) to $600 per square foot and up depending on fit and finish, style, local cost of labor, and foundation requirements.

It is unusual for an individual to do a significant amount of work, so it is somewhat challenging to extract the material and equipment cost from specific cost items. However, if you hire a professional estimator, they should be able to take your plans and develop a reasonably accurate estimate of cost with you doing a substantial part of the work. If you expect an internet chat forum such as this to provide a useful estimate of the cost to construct a house without having plans available, and with no idea of local conditions, I think you are two bus stops past the end of the line.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
user1007 (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPilot View Post
Yes and no...I like the idea of using preset plans...but I also prefer my own customization and the ability progress as I go with funding rather than one large chunk.
Understood but prefab is highly customizable and you could build in sections I guess. Nice thing is you could get your structure in place with a roof over it and spend your time finishing as money allowed? Makes me nervous your crew is rusty when it comes to rough framing. Like riding a bike I guess?

"Prefabulous" is one book that shatters conceptions of prefab construction. One major obstacle to using it more is transport of the components on highways, believe it or not.

Were you hoping to get a short-term construction loan for this that would convert to a mortgage when occupancy is approved? Bank might have some qualms regardless of the price you come up with if you serve as your own GC.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,016

if you have a set of construction drawings you could take those to a local lumber yard and they would be able to do material take offs and provide you with the cost of materials. As far as what contractors would charge for those items you'd have them do you would need to contact locals to get estimates.

there is no way any numbers through around on an internet forum are accurate and you should have no faith in them.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-17-2013), user1007 (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Understood but prefab is highly customizable and you could build in sections I guess. Nice thing is you could get your structure in place with a roof over it and spend your time finishing as money allowed? Makes me nervous your crew is rusty when it comes to rough framing. Like riding a bike I guess?

"Prefabulous" is one book that shatters conceptions of prefab construction. One major obstacle to using it more is transport of the components on highways, believe it or not.

Were you hoping to get a short-term construction loan for this that would convert to a mortgage when occupancy is approved? Bank might have some qualms regardless of the price you come up with if you serve as your own GC.
My understanding with pre-fab is that you order your home, pay a pretty penny to get it shipped, and then put it together yourself or with a crew. I'm curious if you know of any decent online companies with prefab in this area. Most seem to be city oriented, as in, 250,000+ population. That's not near the population here.

I would be getting a personal loan through a family member, and then had hopes of getting a mortgage when built. If the land, and home are in my name...can get a mortgage on the place AFTER I technically own it, I figure I could get a remodel loan if that doesn't pan out? Family is willing to loan the money temporarily so that I can do building myself rather than pay licensed contractors. Around here, banks do not allow ANY of the work to be DIY. Which is understandable. However that would most likely double or triple my overall expenses.

Old framers seem to be more knowledgeable than modern ones in my opinion. Maybe not! I know modern methods may be better, but the basics of framing seem to be the same, at least when you're not willing to fork over the money for the newest and greatest SIPs, Forms, etc.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
if you have a set of construction drawings you could take those to a local lumber yard and they would be able to do material take offs and provide you with the cost of materials. As far as what contractors would charge for those items you'd have them do you would need to contact locals to get estimates.

there is no way any numbers through around on an internet forum are accurate and you should have no faith in them.
I figure some numbers on the internet are accurate. I know there is deviation/variation in costs, but wood is wood and as long as you are near a big box store(lumberyard) I assume costs are within reason because you can now order from big box stores online, where prices are universal.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #14

Here is the cost I came up with using as detailed of calculator I could find.

Image : https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7cS...it?usp=sharing
Old 04-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,954

Sure sounds like this has to be your first house and your ideas are way off.
No way is anyone going to be able to "guess" what this is going to cost.
It's hard enough with a complete set of plns in front of you.
Ordering materials from the box store on the net

GBrackins (04-17-2013), Nailbags (04-18-2013)