Cost Of Adding New Bathroom - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2007, 02:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cost of adding new bathroom

Greetings All

My sister wants to purchase a home in lives in nyc. Because of her disability, she needs a half-bath installed on the 1st floor. Does anyone have an guestimate of what it would cost to replace a portion of the back porch (which is directly located behind the kitchen) and putting in a 1/2 bath? And if so, what kind of contractor should she be looking for? Are there places that offer discounted construction for disabled teachers?

Thanks
Hope

Advertisement

"Hope" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
Agent 000

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Hope" View Post
Are there places that offer discounted construction for disabled teachers?
If she is low income and disabled then there may be some Federal assistance available to help her. I attempted to do a search for such a program but I was inundated with hundreds of web sites that were in the business of locating grants and assistance programs and it was difficult to tell if the site was an official govenment site or not. So beware of that if you should attempt to research this. Sometimes these grants and assistance programs are relegated to the individual state so you may want to start your search locally and work from there. Sorry that I couldn't provide any more specific information. Pehaps someone else may know the path to researching this.

Advertisement

SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the info Secret. She's not considered low income...however, now a days if you want to purchase a home in NYC, you must make more than
$120K+ because the homes for $300 and below are in economically challenged income neighborhoods. Does anyone have an idea how much it may cost to install a new 1/2 bath? $3,000, $6000?...I know that there is a lot of work involved. She is trying to make an estimate of how much she will need to make this home work for her needs.

I appreciate your help.

Hope
Old 08-10-2007, 09:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Hope,

I would guess at least $10,000. Don't forget all this needs permits and anytime you start moving plumbing lines etc. costs can rise very quickly. A rule of thumb is to have a professional estimate then expect it to take 1/3 longer and cost 1/3 more due to unforseen issues. Not great news but hope this helps.
Concordseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #5

It helps...Thanks