Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #1

Share |

Corrugated Pipe sticking up

All,

Just a shot in the dark, but I'm hoping someone can help. We bought our house last year and are doing some DIY landscaping, and do to a creek bed above our plot, we are looking to put a french drain in.

In looking around, we found a corrugated pipe sticking up near our foundation. It appears to tilt away from the foundation where it turns underground. We are wondering if it's possible that there is already a drain installed. However, I am reluctant to simply shoot water down the pipe for obvious reasons. Anyone have any guesses what it may be for?

Please see photos for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Corrugated Pipe sticking up-1.jpg   Corrugated Pipe sticking up-2.jpg   Corrugated Pipe sticking up-3.jpg   Corrugated Pipe sticking up-4.jpg  

autzennoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #2

Since it is at the corner of the house it seems like it would be there for a rain gutter to discharge into.

ttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #3

I certainly agree with ttech, it looks like a drain for downspouts. Is your property lower in the direction it turns? If it is I would certainly try sticking a hose into it and running water. It really won't do any harm and hopefully you'll find out where it goes.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Where are you? Such things and French Drains may not be legal. They overload the sewer system in this part of the World or threaten underground aquafore water supplies. Most municipalities that once allowed them now require they be disabled.

This doesn't mean you don't need downspouts and it would concern me if there once was one at that corner and it was disconnected for some reason. Perhaps it was not needed. Best to check though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote