Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2005, 04:00 PM   #1

Share |

Corian or Granite counter tops

I have Formica counter tops that suck! Appears there was bad glue in 1989 when we bought them. There coming loose like crazy and need to be replaced. Wife and I really know nothing about counter tops, I was going to be a cheap and just replace the formica myself. I can do this, but we are exploring our options of Corian or Granite.... Stopped by Lowes today and got a rough estimate of $45 per square foot for Corian. Then we went to a cabinet shop and the basically said Corian sucks and gave me a price $50 for Granite. Input needed please educate us... $4000 for Kitchen counter tops is a lot of money to me ....???? Hate to spent that kind of money foolishly.....

Jms92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:04 PM   #2
Contractor

An oldie but a goodie is tile and it is coming back 'in'. Another less expensive alternative is granite or slate tiles.

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teetorbilt For This Useful Post:
ncgirl (05-11-2010)
Old 12-17-2005, 09:55 PM   #3

Wow, a great saleperson who burns the competition to sell THEIR product. Nicely trained.

Corian is great. So is granite.
Corian is valuable, and granite is something that took millions of years to make, and gets set on your cabinet with little inbetween.
good and bad to both.
Let price decide.
Oh...and make sure you know weather tiles or slab is the one being bid
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:46 PM   #4
Carpenter

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't granite require more support than corian? If so, you may have to upgrade your cabinets - which would be another cost consideration.

DECKS Etc.
GardenStructure.com
DecksEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:51 AM   #5
rdp

Six months ago our local Lowes offered either a granite or quartz counter top which was thinner than the normal, more popular products. There appeared to be no compromise on the overall strength/durability of the countertop and the cost was dramatically less. The exposed edges were doubled up so a casual observer would never realize the top was thinner.

Checking back two months ago, Lowes no longer carries that product. The rep who gave the initial sales pitch on the thinner countertop said it could still be had from Canada or some other Country. Due to store policy he was somewhat evasive. I didn't know how to do a search for that product myself, so we still haven't done anything.

Just another 2 cents worth of input.
powrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:05 PM   #6

There is a Granite called Bennisimo that is thinner, but the factory milled edge made it look alot thicker.
They came in tiles, and are half the price of slab.
But then you will need a substrate along with the cabinet, but it's a good alternative.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:06 PM   #7

http://www.benissimosystems.com/
Old 12-25-2005, 01:46 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonicera

This is a link to concrete countertops.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/countertops/
Lonicera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:36 AM   #9

Something to consider is maintenance for either product. I've heard stories of how someone left a margarita glass on the granite counter only to have to pay someone to come out and fix the counter. I like the look of granite, and many people get the impression that it's indestructible, but hearing some of the problems you can face with granite makes me wonder if it's worth the expense unless you're particularly anal about cleaning things up right away. I guess this can be said for most countertops, but I think Corian may need less TLC than granite. I'm no expert so I recommend asking the pros about maintenance for each.
daveincincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:47 PM   #10

Maintenance is easy on granite if you seal it.
The margarita people did not.

Corian does not need sealing and should be just as easy to clean.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:41 AM   #11
rdp

Jms92 - Watching TV this morning we noticed a home project wherein the countertops were going to be soapstone. Maybe someone has some experience with this product and its expense.

Here's something I copied from another site.

"True Soapstone is inert. Alkalis and acids won't affect it as they will a granite, marble, or slate. For over one hundred years, soapstone sinks and tiles have been used in science class rooms and labs along with work tables and counter tops. Its longevity to long term"
powrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #12

I work in an Emergency Room (Occupied with heavy traffic 24/7). We had Corian surfaces placed on all our counters surfaces about a year ago. They're holding up great! The only maintaince I've seen on these has been wiping them down with fairly harsh chemical disinfectants several times a day. It would seem that they should hold up at least as well in you home with only occassional use. I agree with the previous post, your granite guy is trying to sell you his product.
pranderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #13

do not buy a dark color in corian. it scratches easily and the scratch shows up as a light gray. you will be sanding and buffing as often as you do your dishes. Gail Schroeder
GailMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #14
Tom3982s

I have always had ceramic tile. Small grout lines. Cheap also! Looks amazing...
Tom3982s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
Nia

1st let me say if you have the skill and want to save money then do it yourself.

2nd if you choose to go with a product and have someone else do it, then shop around for a quality, reliable contractor to install it for you. Talk with their references and you'll find that a good company will provide better service and cares about your project then Lowes.

3rd I offer customers, granite tiles, slate tiles or Formica that has texture and looks like a stone when they don't have the money for granite. If you choose tile, I would suggest larger sizes so you will have less grout lines. Most of my customers don't want to go back with Corian.

What state do you live in?

Nia is offline   Reply With Quote