Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2006, 09:11 PM   #1

Share |

corian

Hello all ,I am doing a whole house renovation in Pa.but I am not doing things you would normally find in a home in this area.I am trying to come up with some ideals for the baths.I was thinking of useing corian for the wall of a shower stall anybody seen it done or have any suggestions?????????????
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:27 PM   #2

corian

I have not heard of this before. Are you doing it yourself? What I have seen on many websites is the complaint that dealers will not sell Corian to anyone but licenced installers. Not sure if this is a protective measure or a way to control the product. May even be to keep the cost up.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #3

corian

yes I am doing it myself ALL OF IT (god help me) I know I can order it from lowes in sheets and it is cutabl with a saw or routor .Its water tight if you seal the edges and I can get sinks and tops to match so it sounded like a good ideal
Old 10-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #4
DIY'er

corian

Never heard of Corian being used in this way. Is it really the brand name, Corian?
I know there is a material they use for surrounds called Swanstone that is a little like it though...the synthetic solid surface look and feel. Dont know if it would be installed in the same way. One of the big box stores carries it...I think Lowes...

"What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about."

Last edited by dougrus; 10-20-2006 at 10:14 PM. Reason: type-o
dougrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:28 AM   #5

corian

It may be the same thing but thats what they called it at lowes .I have not senn it used this way either and I think it would be something different and eaiser then tile
Old 10-21-2006, 05:39 AM   #6
registered

corian

Yes solid surface material used around the bathtub. I forget the companys name. I will have to shout out elsewhere to find that link.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:47 AM   #7
registered

corian

This is what you want to go with for solid surface tub surround. http://www.swanstone.com/products/tu...t603/index.php Good luck.

Last edited by 747; 10-21-2006 at 05:51 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:05 AM   #8

corian

Hey thanks thats kind of what I am looking for I will have to check with them to see if I can get just sheets of it to do a free style area I dont want just a prefabed tub or shower.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:45 AM   #9
DIY'er

corian

Ya...thats the stuff I was talking about.
I think it comes in sheets and there is a way that you can "hide seams" if there are any.
My friend installed it last year. Said it was fairly easy to put in but expensive. I guess He cut one of the pieces wrong and BANG....he's out a couple hundred....
Looks and feels good though...much more elegant than fiberglass or acrylic surrounds...

Old 10-21-2006, 02:38 PM   #10

corian

I am spending a pretty good amount of money on this house anyway might as well get what I really want right anyway I have saved on other areas so it will all even out I guess .The add and site at the top of this page for Royal Stone wall systems turned out to be just what I was looking for they can give almost any color and will custom make any size Thank for your replys I will let ya all know how it turned out in a few weeks
Old 10-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #11
DIY'er

corian

FYI- Not to push the Swanstone, but I was browsing around the site for my own 2nd bath that I plan on doing in the winter and they have some really interesting wall pannels that can be used for surrounds or regular walls...They have a 3 dimensional aspect to them....beadboard type and others...really unique.