Cordless Phone Rechargeable Batteries - How To Maximize? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2013, 01:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 688

Cordless Phone Rechargeable Batteries - How To Maximize?

I have a set of Panasonic cordless phones, and each of the phone (KX-TGA740) uses a pair of AAA rechargeable batteries.

AAA Ni-MH DC 1.2V

However these batteries do not last long at all. I would buy a 8-pack and put them into all the phones, then once they are charged up they will last 2-3 days. I wait till they completely discharges and the phone says "Recharge for 7 hours" before I put them into the charging stations.

Well, after about a month or two, a total recharged phone will last for 4 hours of just on standby but if I turn it on for a phone call, it wouldn't last more than 15 minutes.

Now, this is perhaps partially due to me not taking it off the charging station after 7 hours. Sometimes they get charged over night, sometimes I forgot and left one charging for 2 days. I always wait till it says FULLY CHARGED but I simply can't manage the "7 hours no more no less" - too difficult.

My source for the replacement batteries are generic brands sold off eBay for that phone. Don't know if there may be better ones out there.

Is there anything I can do to extend these battery's useful life?

Is there some sort of special charger out there I can buy to properly charge the AAA batteries that will shut down once it's fully charged, then I can put them into the phones? Is this a better strategy?

Or are there better quality batteries than the ones I have been buying?

Or other charge/discharge strategies I should try?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Advertisement

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

So....how much money do you think really saved buying them off Fleabay?

Buy some decent rechargeable batteries. Costco has some good deals.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #3

Don't think I saved any.

Just searched the phone model number and the links took me there for the batteries that fit. I think it was $20 or so for an 8-pack which was what I needed for 4 handsets.

There are many kinds available I just sort of randomly picked one. Amazon had others with similar prices. I am not sure if they are any different. Are there better batteries or is it my way of charging & discharging that's the problem?
Old 08-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,468

Sounds like you got some old stock batteries. Buy them from a more reputable place that has higher turn over and will have fresh batteries.
gregzoll (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Don't knock yourself for buying cheaper batteries. I mean, really, how are you supposed to know good from bad?

I've bought brand-name car batteries that didn't make it two years, and el cheapos that went well past 4 years.

I do know that my phone service guy told me that charging any longer than about two hours was detrimental to my battery. But, then, that is a regular cell phone battery.

As recommended, maybe just buy from a busy store.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
JOATMON

I concur with Willie....

One of the issues with NiCad's is that they have a finite life that starts from the day they are made. So, if you buy batteries that were made 2 years ago....well...with luck, you have 6-8 years left. Couple that with the fact that sitting around not being used also reduces the life....and consider the fact that if someone is selling on fleabay....chances are it's really cheap stuff.

I don't do Fleabay....never. Amazon is a safer bet....and chances are, the prices are just about as good....with less risk.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 08-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,464

The 7 hour charge is the initial charge, or the approximate time to recharge IF the phone runs completely down.

Running the phone completely down is what we used to try to do with nicads. But your phones are NiMH. Running them completely down reduces the number of charge cycles that you get from them as compared to partial recharging. Put the phones in back in the charger when not in use, or at least every evening before bed.

Check your user manual. It should contain an instruction that says it is OK to leave the handset on the charger even when fully charged.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,468

The phone charger that came with the phone should be setup to leave the phone it the base forever. The charger should cycle from charge to maintain as needed.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
The phone charger that came with the phone should be setup to leave the phone it the base forever. The charger should cycle from charge to maintain as needed.
correct, don't feel bad, we have wireless units at work. Batteries typically recommended lifespan is 200-300 cycles. each battery is > 50$

I'd just leave em in the charging stations. we have 4 here at home and I haven't replaced a battery in the 5-6? years we've had em.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #10

OK so it's better to leave the phones in the charging cradles?

Now my question is do all of you have the cradles or stations where it's most convenient?

I have 4 phones, usually I like one in the living room, one in the kitchen one in the bedroom and one in the study. That way I can get to them as need arises. If I put all 4 phones in their cradles in the study I have to walk from the kitchen all the way there just to answer or if I need to make a call and I am in the living room, same issue...or I may not even hear the rings three rooms away if my TV is on.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
OK so it's better to leave the phones in the charging cradles?

Now my question is do all of you have the cradles or stations where it's most convenient?

I have 4 phones, usually I like one in the living room, one in the kitchen one in the bedroom and one in the study. That way I can get to them as need arises. If I put all 4 phones in their cradles in the study I have to walk from the kitchen all the way there just to answer or if I need to make a call and I am in the living room, same issue...or I may not even hear the rings three rooms away if my TV is on.
This is a joke, right? Gotta be.

"No", you should have all 4 of your phones in the same room... preferably the garage... and they should be no more than 4" apart.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
JOATMON

Actually...we are sort of moving away from cordless phones....they usually end up shoved down the side of the couch or buried under papers.

I'm installing hardwired drops in several places in the house....Kitchen...pub and master bedroom. That way we know we can find one phone near by....and if the power goes out, we still have phone service.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,464

Quote:
Most convenient would be one in every room.
But no, we have 3 in convenient locations. For us, it is master bedroom, living room, and den. If we need one in another room, we will grab whichever is close, and take it with us. But when we are done with it which may be hours later, we return it to it's home station.

I keep one other phone in my office. It is an old fashioned wired phone that will work even if the power is out.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #14

I had the main unit and all the charging cradles in the same room on the same shelf with the idea that I will occasionally have to put the phones back for charging. If I leave the phones in the cradles all the time except when in use, I will need to rethink where I need to move all this to. I kind of have a shelf that I put my printer, fax, scanner, phone handset cradles, modem...
Old 08-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Have not had a landline in so long I cannot remember what is was like. Charging has not been an issue for me with decent cell phones but then I am not far from a charger for days on end either. And, of course, comparing my battery to NiMh is like apples and oranges.

Those like you have tended to establish memory patterns from the very first cycle. They would only drain to the lowest discharge point established and recharge from that point only. Or so the rumor was taught me. If it is true, if you only discharged a battery to 50 percent, that is the maximum it could ever recharge.

When I did have cordless phones, I bought from one of the battery stores that sold nothing but batteries. They seemed to last a long, long time. I suspect the store would have stood behind any that failed as quickly as your do as well.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote