Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #1

Share |

Cooling an attic - cheap + simple ?

Hi, great forum, just the place i needed considering my youthful LACK of home improvement skills!

My question is: I have been offered a smallish attic in a friends house as a place to stay for the next few months very cheaply. It is large enough to live in, with a single bed, desk + cupboard. The roof is triangular (ie both side walls slope in to meet in the middle of the room.) The roof is corrogated metal (at least from the inside this is what i see). My only problem with the space is that it gets VERY hot and stuffy in summer because the only place for air to escape is out the 2m hole in the floor where you enter the attic. Thus the hot air rises and has no place to escape other than down.

What I am wondering is whether there is a way to get airflow in the room without tampering with the roof/structure of the building. I was wondering if any portable appliances are aviablable which could, for example, suck air out of my room and replace it with the air in the hallway below the attic. Or any other suggestions are very welcome!

thanks for your help
Hegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:48 AM   #2

That does not sound habitable, legally or otherwise, and probably not safe. Does it have an emergency exit window w/stairs or a ladder??
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #3

Not sure on building codes in Australia
But how are you getting inot the attic ?
Thru drop down stairs....a ladder ?
In the US that is not habitable space, so not legal to use here
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote