Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Controlling Dust ?

A few months back, I saw something at home depot that looked like typical sheet of plastic with a built in zipper. I couldn't find it the other day now that I need it.

I also saw some Zipwall system at amazon, but it seems a little pricey. They also just sell the zipper that you can attach to a sheet of plastic, tarp, etc., but I would think that the stickyness of the zipper would lose it's stick after a while.

There is a walk through archway from the kitchen to the Living room that is about 4x7 that I'm trying to block off, but also use as a temporary passage to the rest of the house. I'd like to avoid nailing/screwing something in to the walls to hold up a tarp or whatever.

What do you guys use to help control the dust and keep it in the zone under construction ?
TIA,
Scott

Scott_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #2

Controlling Dust ?

Just to let you know - my husband is a contractor and he uses a system named curtainwall and it keeps all the dust out and it looks real easy to put up!

kryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Another DIY Zombie

Controlling Dust ?

I always use plastic sheeting and duct-tape, then a fan in the window. Have also seen contractors use light gauge metal framing and expandable struts (like heavy duty shower curtain rods). Obviously, whichever does the job with the least effort is the goal.
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Controlling Dust ?

We use the zippers on containments. We duct tape them to the plastic, then open the zipper and slice the plastic with a utility knife. Paint stores sometimes carry them. For temporary containment we use 2" blue painters tape. Then duct tape the plastic sheet to the blue tape. Don't expect that set up to last too long though. The blue tape will give up. The advantage is that for a short term set up, the blue tape won't tear up your wall finish. The zippers are re-usable. We cut the plastic and retape them to the next containment.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote