Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2006, 02:25 AM   #1

Contractor srew ups

Hello,

I am currently in the process of remodeling my kitchen and dining room and also getting my ceilings vaulted in the process. My contractor agreed to take care of all permits fo the job and seemed as if he was doing so in a timely manner. It wasnt until I contacted the permit office and found out he handed in the permit 2 weeks later than he told me. That set us back from getting started by a week. Now we just had the electrical inspection and framing inspection yesterday and we failed because the recessed lighting was not installed, and none of the wiring was tied together in the receptacles. I asked my contractor if the lights should be in for the inspection and he said no. Also he didnt put on the permit that we were adding new receptacles, which forced a new permit to be applied for. Well since we have failed for that, now we are set back another week or so. These week set backs are due to contractor negligance. My question is should I be asking my contractor for some sord of discount for the amount of time he has lost us on this remodel. All told its about 2-3 weeks late. This may not sound bad but when you dont have a kitchen, dining room or living room, it starts to become a nuisance when your kept even longer without these things due to screw ups.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

NJ

Last edited by njremodel; 06-24-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Contractor srew ups

i understand your frustration, but if the quality of the work is up to par i would relax. if a contractor says a week assume two weeks is a general rule of thumb. things happen, and inspectors and permit issues vary from county to county. my house was supposed to be done in four months, im starting on my 9th month now.

THEBIGPUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:47 AM   #3

Contractor srew ups

Fire him. Not only is that completely unprofessional but he's broken the contract you set up with him.
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:26 AM   #4
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Contractor srew ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krichton
Fire him. Not only is that completely unprofessional but he's broken the contract you set up with him.
Sure...go ahead..then how long will you be behind? If his work is satisfactory, I would stick with the plan, and if you feel you need monetary relief, wait til the final payment is due.

I assume the framing inspection passed? It soulds like may not have a good working knowledge of the codes and inspection process, but it doesn't mean your job is going south. One other thing about trying for a discount or running this guy off, you then get to have someone else find time to come in, and chances are since they are following up someone else's work, they will no bid it and it will cost you some big bucks. You should roll along with this guy if his work suits you, and when the job is finished, if you are happy, pay him. Delays have already cost him bucks.
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Contractor srew ups

Are you a GC, an H/O, or an H/O acting as a GC?
(It makes a difference)
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:43 PM   #6

Contractor srew ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis
Sure...go ahead..then how long will you be behind? If his work is satisfactory, I would stick with the plan, and if you feel you need monetary relief, wait til the final payment is due.

I assume the framing inspection passed? It soulds like may not have a good working knowledge of the codes and inspection process, but it doesn't mean your job is going south. One other thing about trying for a discount or running this guy off, you then get to have someone else find time to come in, and chances are since they are following up someone else's work, they will no bid it and it will cost you some big bucks. You should roll along with this guy if his work suits you, and when the job is finished, if you are happy, pay him. Delays have already cost him bucks.
Who's to say this isn't just the beginning of a long drawn out screwup? You'll end up spending more and waiting much longer to get your house finished and that's if it gets finished and done properly. Look at Bigpunn. His house is behind 5 months. That's inexcusable.
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:57 PM   #7

Contractor srew ups

Sorry for the incomplete info. I am the homeowner,

The Framing inspection has passed, and the electrical didnt fail because of something that was done wrong, but because of something that just wasnt done. I am happy with the GC's work for the most part. He is a young guy, but he seems reliable. Honestly, once the inspections are passed, it should be smooth sailing, with just the sheetrock, insulation and kitchen cabinets left to go, but Ill still be 2 weeks behind and thats due mostly to the permits being done incorrectly by the GC, multiple times. I know thats not 5 months, but Im not building a house either. I definitly dont want to fire him, because I will be even further behind. But because he has screwed up with the permits so many times, I just feel like some compensation should be made. I just didnt know if asking for compensation was a common practice when contractors fall behind due to negligance(not forces of nature). I know the GC is losing money for falling behind, because it delays him on future jobs, however, I dont like people not paying attention to detail. I guess its just the military in me.

Thanks again for your suggestions
Old 06-24-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Contractor srew ups

I am a GC, and if a customer came at me with such a request, I would cut some slack if it was my fault. Of course, there is no excuse for incorrectly done permits, but if the guy is young, and trying hard, give him a break. You made your point with it is costing him already, why bleed him? If it is only the inconvenience and nat actually a monetary loss you suffer(ed), then let the work go on and pay the guy. Remember, word of mouth is a 2 way street. Suppose you hammer him good, sweat him a few thousand off the bill...then you want something else done and other contractors heard about you...you might have trouble getting a job done....when I hear about PITA's, I use a PITA factor to insure if I get the job, I will profit. I usually avoid anyone who is a stickler over time...we get done when we get done, God willing and the creeks don't rise.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote