Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #1

Share |

contractor

Hey guys, stupid question for a DIY forum, is there any chit chat section on this site for opinions, recommendations, etc. for obtaining a good contractor? Moderators, please put this where it will be seen best if there is such a section here. Thank you!!!

mudpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Mod

contractor

What type of contractor?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #3

contractor

Sorry...home repairs. Front entry door. Windows. Interior/exterior wall repair, subfloor/joist repair, interior doors, rough framing
Old 09-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #4

contractor

Do you think that your location might help you get better replies ?
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
Do you think that your location might help you get better replies ?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #6

contractor

Probably, stay away from the "Big Box/Home Center stores" -

Try "Google" for your area!
We don't know where you are!?!
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #7

contractor

Oh boy, lol...Farmingville/Selden, NY
Old 09-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #8

contractor

And, I probably should've said this too: I know how to thumb through Google or the Yellow Pages, but I was wanting to find people in the area that have used companies they trusted that did a good job. I know one such company, but they charge a membership. How 'bout a forum out there? One income here, little kids, and little time to diy, unfortunately
Old 09-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
Mod

contractor

I'd first be asking people you already know and trust if they have any recommendations based on positive experiences.

You can also ask supply houses for referrals. A local lumber yards contractor sales desk (not a box store) would be a good place to start. Usually the reps in contractor sales have been at there job for years and personally know most of the local contractors. (You actually need to go down there and talk to people for this to be effective.)

Even after you have a few referrals you still need to check references and go look at other jobs they've done.

Angieís List the BBB and other referral services where contractors pay for leads, ratings or a preferred placement on a list are the last places I'd trust in making a decision.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
rusty baker (09-09-2013), ToolSeeker (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
General Contractor

contractor

If there is any new construction going on in your area, you might stop by the job site ( do not invite yourself onto the premises ) and see if you can get contact with the GC or a lead guy on a crew. The trick is this: They are not soliciting your work, and trade guys all know each other, and you might get a good lead to a contractor or carpenter that will do a good job for you.

It has been my experience that good trades guys are never advertising, because they never are without work, and they are never without work because they are busy because they are good.

Stay away from any magnetic signed trucks, or guys passing out cards in a box store.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
Pro Flooring Installer

contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
If there is any new construction going on in your area, you might stop by the job site ( do not invite yourself onto the premises ) and see if you can get contact with the GC or a lead guy on a crew. The trick is this: They are soliciting your work, and trade guys all know each other, and you might get a good lead to a contractor or carpenter that will do a good job for you.

It has been my experience that good trades guys are never advertising, because they never are without work, and they are never without work because they are busy because they are good.

Stay away from any magnetic signed trucks, or guys passing out cards in a box store.
Before I semi-retired, I never advertised. I turned down work. Most of the pros I know in every trade were the same way. The handyman types, were always out soliciting work.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote