Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #1

Share |

Construction Electrician trade

Hello everyone,
I am currently working full-time as a utility locator and wanted to change my career path. I took electrical engineering fresh out of high school but was forced to drop out seeing as my school relocated to a place I was not willing to commute (I live in Toronto and the school moved to Ottawa) With that being said I havent used my electrical exp. much since then (I am now 24) and have forgotten most of it - my knowledge can be summed up as minimal / basic (although I will most likely be refreshed once I start studying again) Long story short...

I have a house and a mortgage and want to continue to work (full time with my current company if possible) but also want to study construction electrician in the process.

Based on my situation I was looking to get some recomendations as to the best path to take - best schools as well - online perhaps?

I am sure some of you here are in my shoes or have once been and I am motivated and ready but lacking direction.

I have a few possible contacts of contractors who may be willing to train me without pay but want to do it the proper way (school and certificate, etc)

When taking online courses how does one do the hands on aspect?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

esctave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by esctave View Post
Hello everyone,
I am currently working full-time as a utility locator and wanted to change my career path. I took electrical engineering fresh out of high school but was forced to drop out seeing as my school relocated to a place I was not willing to commute (I live in Toronto and the school moved to Ottawa) With that being said I havent used my electrical exp. much since then (I am now 24) and have forgotten most of it - my knowledge can be summed up as minimal / basic (although I will most likely be refreshed once I start studying again) Long story short...

I have a house and a mortgage and want to continue to work (full time with my current company if possible) but also want to study construction electrician in the process.

Based on my situation I was looking to get some recomendations as to the best path to take - best schools as well - online perhaps?

I am sure some of you here are in my shoes or have once been and I am motivated and ready but lacking direction.

I have a few possible contacts of contractors who may be willing to train me without pay but want to do it the proper way (school and certificate, etc)

When taking online courses how does one do the hands on aspect?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!
I Googled 'Ontario Electrical Apprenticeship' and there's lots of info available. Humber College offers an apprenticeship prep course. That may be useful for you!
http://postsecondary.humber.ca/eleccm.htm

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Advice worth 2 cents!

Very gutsy move to make....and a good one!

The electrical trade is a lot of hard work but, if you like to be challenged mentally and physically, it's the best!

That said, go back to school! I have always thought city colleges are the best way (CEGEP here in Québec) to get a decent diploma. Set your goals high, don't settle for a "simple" job, become a provincial licensed electrician and do anything to get into a big construction union. Only work for the best contractors and NEVER NEVER work for free!

oh...and if you have a good degree you might be lucky enough to get a job with the city, the province, Hydro One...and other cool places to work!

_pete

...you might even consider being you own contractor, the sky is the limit!
Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies,

HandyPete: I wouldn't mind going back but only if part-time, I want to still work and try to do both.

Wildie: Thanks, I was debating between that course and this one at sheridan http://www.sheridanc.on.ca/Programs%...re-trades.aspx

I called both schools today and Humber needs you to find an employer to train you which I do not have yet and Sheridan is full time and the schedule is not flexible at all.

I found this site online
ICS http://www.icslearn.ca/electrician/program-outline.html

Its online so I can learn from home but is it worth it? For $1000 and change with no hands on exp. just theory really.. Would I be better off buying books on the subject?

Has anyone heard of ICS?

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Advice worth 2 cents!

Wait a minute. Take a really hard look at what's going on on what YOU want to do with the rest of your life.

Read some of the better posts on this site from people like ....Yoyizit....Speedy Petey....J.V....Frenchelectrician...Scuba Dave....220/221...LOL...... Do you want to know electricity like them? It's going to take a lot more than books....it takes proper training, hard work, and dedication.

Want to learn something really fast and make money? learn about Alarms or Satelite dishes or repairing toasters...but, being an electrician is a whole different story.

GO and talk to local contractors (the owners) and ask them who they would hire and from what schools!!!! get out there and ask questions from the pros in your area... I did and that's why I ended up going to Los Angeles Trade-Technical College to get my A.A. and believe me..I turned down a hell of a lot of job offers after that!!!

_Pete
Old 10-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by esctave View Post
Thanks for the replies,

HandyPete: I wouldn't mind going back but only if part-time, I want to still work and try to do both.

Wildie: Thanks, I was debating between that course and this one at sheridan http://www.sheridanc.on.ca/Programs%...re-trades.aspx

I called both schools today and Humber needs you to find an employer to train you which I do not have yet and Sheridan is full time and the schedule is not flexible at all.

I found this site online
ICS http://www.icslearn.ca/electrician/program-outline.html

Its online so I can learn from home but is it worth it? For $1000 and change with no hands on exp. just theory really.. Would I be better off buying books on the subject?

Has anyone heard of ICS?

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
I may be wrong, but its likely that this ICS course would only give you a better chance of a contractor taking you in as an apprentice.
$1000 just make your chances a little better, but the course isn't necessary to get hired.
A shortage of skilled trades looms and your chances of getting hired without this course are very good!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #7

Wildie-yea i dont think i will bother with that school after all lol..

Good points HandyPete. I work in the construction industry so i talk to contractors daily, i know i want to shift towards a trade and since i have electrical experience (took electrical engineering after high school) it seemed like the best fit. I have also considered plumbing/gas fitter/hvac, really any trade.. but lean towards electrical because of the exp. and i actually enjoyed it..
Thanks guys i have a lot to think about!