Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
Another DIY Zombie

Share |

Condensation on New Windows

I installed two new Pella windows (double Hung, Insulated). Now that the weather is colder, I notice that each window has a small strip of condensation on the inside (home interior side) of the upper sash. I am not thinking that this is a failure on the window (since it is on the exterior of the glass), but of the installation. However, I have insulated all around the window, the windows were installed plumb and the locking mechanism is secure. What else is there?

Oh, and Murphy's law prevails, since the trim is all installed and painted, so it will need to be removed to correct the problems...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Sounds like a failure of the seal on the insulated glass panel. Contact the installer or the manufacturer. They are warranted. The sash can be replaced without removing the entire window unit.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #3

It sounds like and air leak from the exterior. Cool air is getting in and condensing at the point of entry. If the weatherstriping is intact, without any nicks or gaps, it's possible the window was installed a little out of square. One side of the window hits the top frame and the other side has a small gap. Use of a square on the frame will tell you if this is the problem.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Man of many hats

I had to re-read your post a couple of times to make sure that I understand your problem. If I read it correctly, you are saying that the condensation is not between the panes of glass, but on the room side of the inside pane. If so, this is not too uncommon. You have actually installed them well, so that now humidity is being trapped inside the house and even though you have insulated glass, it is the coolest place for the water to condense. I have seen this often in porches that have been converted to sun rooms where good windows were installed, the the walls themselves were poorly insulated, if at all. Take a look at the following link. It explains it as well as I can (ok, probably better) and also has a few tips on how to reduce humidity in your home.

http://www.gorell.com/pages/condensation.htm

HTH,
Brett
Old 11-04-2008, 07:21 AM   #5

if its not taken care of then you will lose precious insulation. More energy will be need to heat your home too
raksk5 is offline   Reply With Quote