DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Condensation on Metal Window Frames: Should I Caulk?

13K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Brik 
#1 ·
We have metal window frames throughout our house. In the winter we end up with water condensing on the metal frames and pooling on the sill inside. I'm in the process of repainting and wonder if I should caulk around the inside of the window?

I'm aware of the various means to attempt to alleviate condensation issues: controlling humidity, heating the interior, air circulation, etc. We haven't had much success and deal with it by wiping up the water. We still end up with some damage to the sill and adjacent drywall (mostly in the corners). Caulking will help with cleanup and prevent water from dripping down under the sill. Thoughts?

If I do caulk between the sill and the window, what type of caulking should I use?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Yes, the condensation appears to be from the cold metal window frame.

Is caulk generally paintable? Once applied I'd like to color it the same as the adjacent drywall. I might get away with an almond or off white caulk that looks OK with the light yellow wall, however it's really my wife's call.

#5 ·
New windows aren't that long in the future fortunately! We are all set to find a contractor to replace a few. We live in the Pacific Northwest where humidity makes metal framed windows a poor choice -- 9 months of humidity inside and out and cool exterior temperatures. Our house is stuccoed, not a particularly popular siding in this area, so part of issue will be finding a contractor with a track record of installing windows in stucco houses.

Thanks for the caulk info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.