Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Condensation -Ceilings

Plaster Ceilings are showing new discoloration or possible water stain. I am not ruling out a leaky pipe, but, recently we found and repair/clean mold in our attic. Inspecting our ceilings below the attic and on our first floor, we are seeing slight darkening, the width of joists on plaster/lathe ceilings.

Is it possible, the cause of the mold in attic (poor ventilation-broken fan) is the cause of this and if so, how do we make sure this is the issue, not a broken pipe some where. ?
Should I open up a ceiling to look for moisture between flooring, condensation between the floors ?
Also, we added new more efficient windows in our home and insulation in our attic. Could we over-sealed our home ?
thank you

cblinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 526

Condensation -Ceilings

Where are you located? Is it very humid ?
Did you only start seeing the dark areas on your ceiling in the summer? Do you have pipes in your attic ? Cold water running through a bare copper pipe can definately sweat in moist summer air. But I would only expect to see stains directly below the pipe.
What temperature do you have your air conditioner set at ?

I can not see how better insulating your home can cause these problems, but maybe somebodey else can see a possible link. You say you had mold in the attic before. Please give more details. Normally I expect to see a vapor barrier on top of the ceiling, and then insulation on top of that.

You found darking on the first floor ceiling. How many stories is your house ?

Last edited by SPS-1; 07-26-2011 at 06:19 PM.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Condensation -Ceilings

Mold in the attic is likely from a roof leak unless you have an A/C air handler up there with a leaking tray or clogged condensate pipe.
If you think there are leaking pipes in the attic, go up there and investigate. Pipes are not run in the attic in cold climates as a rule.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #4

Condensation -Ceilings

to add to my inquiry, 2 story home, very faint "ghosting" on newly painted (2 years ago) ceilings on first floor, humid climate (New jersey) with little or no ventilation in attic for 6 months, mold as remeadiated, cause was vapor barrier on inside roof - but my issue is now cracks and water ghosting on ceilings...could this be caused by humidity in between walls/ceilings-floors ?
Old 07-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #5

Condensation -Ceilings

Have you correctly vented the attic? If not, start there.
What is, "water ghosting"?
Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #6

Condensation -Ceilings

Yes, we replaced attic fan and thermostat and added a humisistat. My thinking is, the trapped air in attic, humid/hot, creeped down into walls and ceiling joist areas, only to then cause condensation from pipes between floors. No visible moisture, just a slight dis-coloration or "ghosting".
Old 07-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #7

Condensation -Ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblinc View Post
Yes, we replaced attic fan and thermostat and added a humisistat. My thinking is, the trapped air in attic, humid/hot, creeped down into walls and ceiling joist areas, only to then cause condensation from pipes between floors. No visible moisture, just a slight dis-coloration or "ghosting".
An unlikely scenario. The water would need to condense onto cool surfaces, like a cold water pipe running through the attic.
Do you have cold water pipes up there? The pipes generally run in walls and in floors under the bath and are kept away from areas that could cause them damage.
Why would you add a humidistat? The humidity in the attic would not be any greater then the outside air that it was being replaced by, unless you were venting the bath air into the attic and not to the exterior. Air conditioning in the house would reduce the humidity substantially, so it would be less humid below the attic.
The discoloration is probably dirt.
There's something else going on there.

Tags
ceiling insulatio, ceiling joists, plaster walls, water damage