Concrete Walls - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Concrete Walls

I have a concrete wall building that is at least 35 yrs old. We just went through Hurricane Irene and it blew the roof off and busted the doors and windows out. This building has been vacant along time. My question is do I repair or tear down. How do I know the walls are sound enough to put a new roof and ect on it. Before I spend big money on repairs I need to know it is a good choice to repair. My husband just had a stroke and can't talk. I don't want to stress him with this issue. I don,t know who to ask if it is stable. We don,t have the money to hire contractors so to speak. I wanted to use individuals but need to make sure I am making the right decision in doing repairs over tearing the building down. Which will cost big buck too. Of course we had no insurance. Ple

Advertisement

Connie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Concrete Walls

Check for cracks at corners, at window/door openings, and signs that it moved from the footings. If nothing evident, rebuild, if nothing major, I would still consider rebuilding. Assuming you have a use for the building.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,054

Concrete Walls

Hi!
Welcome to "DIY"!
Post a picture/s.
What kind of concrete - how thick - block/poured?

rossfingal
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote