Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #1

Share |

concrete slab for a hot tub

hello, i am a newbie to this site so i hope i am posting my question in the correct place and thanks in advance for any help you can give.
i need advice on how to pour a slab for a hot tub. the slab will be 11' circular on a slope. the slope will be 16" from level at its max. the circle is already shaped with landscape stones (the kind that lock in place and angle inward as you stack them).
My question is: Can i use the landscape stones as the form to hold in the concrete when it is poured? I know i will need to backfill with gravel to make level but not sure if the stone wall will hold in place, or i need to remove it and use wood for the forms?
Thanks.

rodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

How ever you do it, don't forget to leave som rebar exposed for the hot tub bond.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #3

hot tube bond......is that referring to the electrical bond???
Old 01-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodu View Post
hello, i am a newbie to this site so i hope i am posting my question in the correct place and thanks in advance for any help you can give.
i need advice on how to pour a slab for a hot tub. the slab will be 11' circular on a slope. the slope will be 16" from level at its max. the circle is already shaped with landscape stones (the kind that lock in place and angle inward as you stack them).
My question is: Can i use the landscape stones as the form to hold in the concrete when it is poured? I know i will need to backfill with gravel to make level but not sure if the stone wall will hold in place, or i need to remove it and use wood for the forms?
Thanks.
You need to use wood for the forms - or rented steel concrete forms.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Disabled wood vet

I would'nt rely on the rock work to hold the concrete. A blowout can be quite problematic.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

If you're saying you installed a segmental retaining wall made of concrete block, then that will likely have what it takes to hold the concrete back when you pour it. Really depends on how heavy the block are and how they mate together with the subsequent row.

I'd still likely rest the slab on top of the wall though, rather than use the wall for a form, as the weight of the slab will help hold the slab together.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #7

thanks for all the replies. i really appreciate it.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #8

How are you prep'ing below the slab? You should probably be putting in a layer of gravel, compacting it, and pouring on top of that. I would want drainage under mine (the gravel should do, as long as water can get out eventually). I would also insulate w/ rigid foam, probably 2 to 4". It may even be advisable (see your dealer) to put the hot tub right on the foam OVER the slab. You can get rigid foam with suitable psi for your tub; no sense in letting it cool too quickly.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote