Concrete Slab - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

concrete slab

I live in Austin, TX, I want to pour a concrete slab under a tall deck. It is just for parking mower and lawn items. I will pour small sections at a time, finished product is 14' x 16'. Do I need rebar, how thick should the slab be, ratio, etc.

Advertisement

christinehuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

concrete slab

The subject of placing concrete for a slab has been discussed dozens of times on this forum in the past couple of years, I suggest you read the posts, they will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about concrete and a lot of stuff you didn't want to know. You will find a variety of opinions about the usefulness/need for rebar, no need to rehash the discussion here, its all in the post history. My only comment is that it is usually easier to set up the forms and place the whole pad rather than try to do it in pieces, since that creates cold joints, and adds to cost because you need to rent a mixer for several days.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

concrete slab

thanks! but last night was my first time on this web site, maybe you know all about where to find answers but I don't, thank you anyway.
christinehuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

concrete slab

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinehuf View Post
thanks! but last night was my first time on this web site, maybe you know all about where to find answers but I don't, thank you anyway.
Yep I was thinking the same thing. I would rather someone not answer at all then to come off like that. But he is right there is a lot of info out there the idea is how to find it.

Anyway. there will not be much weight on it so it doesnt need to be terribly thick, but I would pour at least 3" over a well compacted base. I would make the sections as large as possible to avoid cold joints as the other commented. rebar is optional on such a lightly used pad. I always go overkill and put it in. that way if it cracks, and it prolly will, the sections are still tied together via the rebar.
What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

concrete slab

Daniel is one of the more knowledgeable and most helpful people on this forum. Just like many others here, he has given out this same information time and time again. So have I. So have many of us. Despite the fact that we are here because we enjoy being helpful, it does get a little old to keep repeating the same thing over and over when it is already well written out in many places on the forum.

I appreciate the desire to do no more than ask a question and be given the answer. I like that too. But the SEARCH feature is included on this forum to easily and quickly give you access to any and all desired information. Try it. It's not hard.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

concrete slab

I wasn't trying to be rude, check out the Search button at the top bar, enter "concrete slab", you will find all the threads related to concrete slabs.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote