Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #1

Share |

Concrete Shower Pans???

Hello all - new at this. Fisrt time homeowner and a new DIY....

Remodeling Master Bath. Shower - want to know if anyone has an opinion of concrete shower pans - any rumors of leakage? Concrete can crack over time - has this proven a problem with this new fad of remodeling? I would likely spend the $$$ to have a professional company pour the pan. Any info or opinions appreciated...

Until later - Dive always
Brandi
seaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
Woodworker and Contractor

Concrete Shower Pans???

I use a liner with a concrete base plased in it. All of this is installed by the tile guy after the plumber puts in the pan and drain. Is that the concrete you are thinking of?
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:09 AM   #3

Concrete Shower Pans???

If you're speaking in terms of using concrete for a cast shower pan, my understanding is that it might not be the best material. I had considered this a while back, but after doing some reading, decided that I'd either go with a premanufactured solid pan or a tiled shower base over a mortar pan. If you're thinking of a cast concrete pan, take a look at the link below. I came across this in my research and Fu-Tung Cheng is sort of considered the father of cast concrete work for interior residential use.

http://www.concreteexchange.com/mixer/mix_1_7_notes.jsp
mebsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Concrete Shower Pans???

Do you mean poured concrete? Not a good idea if so, because concrete is porous and will wick water. What you want is a dry packed morter bed, usually installed by the tile contractor. The proper build is to put down a morter bed with proper slope towards the drain (special drain for tile installations), then install a waterproof pan of pvc material, available from plumbing supply, then the rest of the morter bed, again sloped towards the drain, and topped with tile. It is common to see the first sloped morter bed skipped, and the pvc laid flat on the sub floor, but this is bad because any moisture will just stay collected under the morter because of lack of a slope to direct it towards the drain.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:35 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Concrete Shower Pans???

Actually, the drain pan (Like copper) or a membrane....goes in first, then you mix and apply your sloped mortar bed into/onto it.

Examples: http://www.thetiledoctor.com/howto/showers2.cfm

http://www.johnbridge.com/shower_curbs.htm

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-11-2008 at 05:39 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #6

Concrete Shower Pans???

Wow!!! - lots of information. I was researching the professional concrete floors that is all the "fad" now-a-days. They state or advertise that it can be used as shower pans - and the pictures show no tile over the concrete - but a solid concrete surface in the shower (with a drain). Having a chemistry degree - I am well aware of the properties of concrete and have a few concerns about concrete in wet areas- But with every new technology or process - it is possible that something has been done to this concrete used in this process that will make it very suitable for a wet environment. I am going to look at the link that a fellow DIY (concrete casting) provided in their response and see if that puts my mind at ease... Hey - THANKS for all the replies - Much appreciated. I am sure that I will be back - before this project is over. Feel free to add any opinions or fun facts about concrete floors - I will check back.

Til then - Dive always
Brandi
seaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
remodeling pro

Concrete Shower Pans???

[quote=AtlanticWBConst.;87438]Actually, the drain pan (Like copper) or a membrane....goes in first, then you mix and apply your sloped mortar bed into/onto it.
quote]

With today's membranes, I will not do a copper pan on anything. I have demoed too many older shower stalls that were leaking , only to find the exact same problem each time.. much of the copper pan was gone, corroded away over the years by the morter. In those days copper or lead pans were the only choices, but PVC rules today IMO.

Sorry to disagree Atlantic but as the song says "that's my story and I'm sticking to it". The membrane laid on a flat floor will not direct moistue to the drain weep holes, but just allow it to collect between the membrane and the morter bed.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 01-11-2008 at 09:58 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Concrete Shower Pans???

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
.....Sorry to disagree Atlantic but as the song says "that's my story and I'm sticking to it". The membrane laid on a flat floor will not direct moistue to the drain weep holes, but just allow it to collect between the membrane and the morter bed.
WHAT!!?? How dare you!!

...Actually, I'd have to agree with you there.

Another example: http://www.bathroomupdates.com/plan/tips2.html
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:41 AM   #9

Concrete Shower Pans???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
WHAT!!?? How dare you!!

...Actually, I'd have to agree with you there.

Another example: http://www.bathroomupdates.com/plan/tips2.html
Interesting post. I agree with him. Thanks for posting this link.
great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
ICF Construction

Concrete Shower Pans???

Anyone tries the shower kit from Schluter?

Looks interesting, have not had the opportunity for the touchy feely thing with it, wondering if it is as easy as they claim.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
Woodworker and Contractor

Concrete Shower Pans???

Around here in Tampa they, the city building dept, are making use float the floor out before we put in the liner. WE have to float it at 1/4" fall per foot then the liner then the morter bed.
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote