Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #1

Share |

Concrete Repair

I am interrested in any advice on repairing/replacing a chunk of concrete from a step. The chunk is missing from one side where the step meets a concrete barrier. Therefore the point is not on a side nor do people step on top of it. The void is probably 6" wide x 5" deep.

I would like to know what you reccomend to fill this gap? I tried a couple concrete patch type fillers and it failed after a year or two. Is there anything on the market that is designed to fil gaps and not simple cracks or small holes.

I will see if I can get a picture as it would be easier to understand.

DK75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Concrete Repair

Quote:
The void is probably 6" wide x 5" deep.
Ayuh,... What's the 3rd dimension,..??
Sounds big enough to just use Concrete...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Concrete Repair

you can use concrete, but I would coat the old concrete with a bonding agent first. Possibly add a rebar stud also to allow the new piece of concrete something to grab to.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #4

Concrete Repair

Thanks for the feedback. It is hard to give a third dimension as the void is irregular in shape. I was thinking of wedging a large nail or rod to act like a piece of rebar. I figured that would add some integrity and possibly why my previous attempt did not hold up too well.
DK75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:07 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Concrete Repair

the rod (rebar) must be drilled into and anchored with anchoring cement for it to work.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Concrete Repair

One of the first things you really might want to do with a crack like that is accurately measure it in a few places and watch it for awhile. Then remeasure the exact same places. If it grows over time, any patch of any kind you might have tried would fail anyway. That's possibly what has occurred in the past.

It will also be important to make sure you install some kind of expansion material where the step meets the concrete barrier. You don't want the new concrete to adhere to the barrier at all because it will crack again when the step and barrier tend to move separately, one from the other, due to temperature changes.

A bonding agent on both surfaces would be the worst thing you could do there. No bonding agent on the barrier at all.

Last edited by Willie T; 11-13-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #7

Concrete Repair

For a repair like that you can drive the large tapcons in about an inch instead of epoxy and re-bar...

RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote