Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #1

Share |

concrete crack repair

My garage floor has settled and has a long crack across the entire floor. There were no expansion seams on the original pour. Used caulk on the first try and it has separated and was not all that waterproof.

I have used a concrete adhesive on the crack and premix quick setting mix. Tried to apply in shallow layers but already see cracks from the initial drying. The crack is over 1" wide in parts and has cracked all the way through to the bottom also is ineven due to the drop off of the lower section.

Do I need to start over?? remove all of what I have done and what should I use now. Read about hydrolic patch that expands to fill up the crack. Also wondered about using expanding foam to fill up the gap under the concrete and part of the crack so that I don't have to wait forever for each layer to dry and possibly use less patch and maybe minimize the cracking.

Also wonder about using floor leveler to even out the lower section to be closer to the other (higher) part of the floor.

Also trying to repair part of the interior garage wall where there is now about 15" across and 1" deep hole when the origial coating just fell off of the block wall. Kind of like stucco but not as rough. Also used same premix and see cracking there too.
What now??

Thanks

Last edited by summertime; 10-08-2007 at 08:43 AM. Reason: add more info
summertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #2

concrete crack repair

Is there a lot of water that is being dumped near this garage from either downspouts or grading that is directing water that way?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #3

concrete crack repair

You say after sealing the crack with caulking it has separated and was not all that waterproof. The underlying question is why did it separate? Is there a structural concern with the foundation of the garage? This should probably be checked by an engineer because it sounds to me lik ethe foundation is settling and it may continue to open up on no matter what you do.

Good Luck!

Jamie Schaefer
NY State Licensed Home Inspector
liinspector is offline   Reply With Quote