Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Complete Protection - Home Warranty

My new home included a warranty from CompleteProtection.com which actually has some great reviews online. Although i do plan on learning to repair as much as I can, this at least gives me some peace of mind for the next year and will allow me to focus on other projects rather then break/fix.

Does anyone have experience with these types of companies. Most of the ones I see online get terrible reviews, this one however, seems to be the only good one of the bunch.

Slagwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagwag View Post
My new home included a warranty from CompleteProtection.com which actually has some great reviews online. Although i do plan on learning to repair as much as I can, this at least gives me some peace of mind for the next year and will allow me to focus on other projects rather then break/fix.

Does anyone have experience with these types of companies. Most of the ones I see online get terrible reviews, this one however, seems to be the only good one of the bunch.
You'll know if it's good(or not) when and if you exercise it.
The time to research the company was before you bought the house.
Internet opinions, for the most part, are white noise.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-25-2013)
Old 12-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Meep!

It sounds like the warranty that was on my house that I bought. Mine is through HERE

I haven't filed anything yet, but I did a test claim online and after entering some basic info it gives you a number of a local contractor specializing in the system that you're having issue with. Seemed that the response was ok, I do know that I was going to be responsible for the first $100 (deductible) but it also says that if the contractor doesn't deem it a warranty, you're responsible for all of the charges if you choose to repair. The appliances would be repaired or replaced depending on need/ability to replace. I suspect some of the "deem it warrant-able" is where they'll decide not to cover things, but we'll see...
Joe Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #4

home warranty's are a mixed bag, but generally are just OK. the one i had i used for my a/c during my first year and it worked out pretty well. i ended up out of pocket for around $250 total for a job that probably would have run me around $1500. so yeah, it was worth it. there were some hidden costs that were a little silly, but it is to be expected. even the best warranties exclude things in the fine print that you won't find out about until you file a claim.
NitroNate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
and after entering some basic info it gives you a number of a local contractor specializing in the system that you're having issue with.
So they tell you who the mechanic is that is going to decide if the issue is one to be covered by (their) warranty? Isn't that kinda like handing a burglar your gun and asking him not to shoot you?
gregzoll (12-07-2011), r0ckstarr (05-25-2013)
Old 12-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Meep!

Well, you have the right to refuse the repair and use your own guy, it's more like an approved body shop with regards to an insurance claim. It's just a matter of "ABC Plumbing is our authorized facility" kind of thing, it would be a whole lot better if you could provide 3 quotes and let them pick one. I wish there was more control over it.

It will be an interesting thing- I had to have a water softener removed that blew the resin beads throughout the plumbing system, and I'm going to see if they will reimburse me for any of it- I had to have it done before the warranty paperwork went out as we had no water...

The one I have was provided by the gubbermint, as I bought the home from Fannie Mae on foreclosure- it was included.
Joe Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #7

We have one on the foreclosure we bought. Totally useless.
You are always responsible for the first $100, you must use a contractor they provide. The pages of things NOT covered was extensive.

A complete waste of time has been my experience. I know others have done better, and I hope the OP has a good experience.
dougp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 12

Iam a tech for hsa and have been for a few yrs they seen to be a very good company and rely on the service ability of there people ...they do cover alot of mechanical issues for the homeowner....you have to pay a deductable up front...after that IF IT IS A COVERED SERVICE>>>100%... new policy from hsa you can use the contractor of your choice if there fee is more you pay the difference..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #9

All Home Warranties are a scam. If you are buying a house and the seller is offering a home warranty, ask for the amount of money they are paying for the home warranty to be taken off the purchase price and take you chances with something breaking. Chances are either you can fix it for what your deductible would be or the home warranty company won't approve the repairs or they will make you wait forever to get something fixed. Simply put, they are not worth it.
gllnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #10

My house came with an AHS home warranty (1 year). It cost the sellers $500 for it. The way they work (at least my contract), is I pay a single $65 trade fee per issue. Like most warranties, they don't cover certain things like bringing issues up to code if required. They also only cover up to a certain amount if it's determined a replacement is needed (I think it's up to $2500 on my contact).

I used it once. My water heater suffered a pretty bad leak. It was one of the nice marathon series tanks, about $1000 retail. They replaced it with a new marathon and it cost me $65 to do it. Beats me dealing with the manufacturer and hauling the old one off.

Based off of that, I determined it was worth it and renewed this year for something like $415. If it pays for itself this year I'll renew it again.
BrandonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 22

Most of them are only good for a year. About 13 months from now is when things start to break. No different than a new car.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #12

A guy I worked with had a home warranty through American Home Shield (I think that's name). He swears by it - cost him something like $60 when he had to have both of his heat pumps replaced. Twice.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
A guy I worked with had a home warranty through American Home Shield (I think that's name). He swears by it - cost him something like $60 when he had to have both of his heat pumps replaced. Twice.
So only his outdoor units were replaced.

They use to void or not cover mismatched systems. Now they create mismatched systems to save themselves money.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
That's who I have. It was suggested to me by a coworker. He renews it every year. He said that his pool pump has gone out twice now in 3yrs, and they replaced it with a new one each time.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
So only his outdoor units were replaced.

They use to void or not cover mismatched systems. Now they create mismatched systems to save themselves money.
I don't have the details of everything that was replaced. All I know is that his is a pretty new house he has had some serious problems with. He swears by AHS.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote