Commit Sacrilege - Paint Cherry? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 123pugsy

Old 01-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 692

Commit sacrilege - paint cherry?

Hello all. The cabinets in my kitchen are about 15 years old, and were not in great shape even when I bought the house 7 years ago. (see pictures). The face frames, doors, and drawer fronts are cherry. The boxes are veneered particle board.

My wife and I have expanded the kitchen into what was a useless sitting area by putting a table/chairs in it and a storage hutch (for now). We want to put some more cabinets in to A. provide storage, B. tie the 2 areas together as one. I was attempting to use my DIY-ness to be frugal here, and thought if I could find cabinets with the same door profile, I could paint them all to match. No matter what I did, I probably wouldn't be able to acquire some that would stain into the same color as what I have now. So, painting is a thought. It seems to be all the kitchen trendiness right now to have solid color cabinets anyway.

So, before I go too far down the road of thinking about this, I thought I'd look for some suggestions here. The best thing would be to rip out all the cabinets and start over - but I'm not ready for a 5-figure kitchen makeover right now. I need about 10-12 linear feet of new cabinets to go along an additional wall, and then refinish these to match and I could be out of this project for a couple grand. Maybe less if I'm lucky enough to find used cabinets that match this profile. I know there are cabinet refinishing kits out there, but I think I'd need to go the paint route to avoid having these cabinets mis-match whatever the other cabinets may be that I acquire.

Guidance is appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Commit sacrilege - paint cherry?-20170109_132516.jpg   Commit sacrilege - paint cherry?-20170109_132520.jpg   Commit sacrilege - paint cherry?-20170109_132543.jpg   Commit sacrilege - paint cherry?-20170109_132558.jpg  

Advertisement

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,426

Re: Commit sacrilege - paint cherry?

Paint away!

Cherry is a boring wood with very little grain.
Msradell likes this.

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,722

I agree, take an HVLP to them and have at it.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2017, 12:53 AM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 3,384

I think you are thinking right....