Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #1

Share |

Co. installing my impact windows measured all wrong. Now they want to "rig" them in.

I signed a contract for impact windows and french doors for my home in Davie. The company is StormWise Shutters. I have been experiencing serious problems with this company. They came to install the windows and noticed that the windows were too short height wise and length wise. The installers realized this after putting up the 1st window. Because they already took down the existing window, they had to "jerry rig" the window into place with wood filler all around the perimeter of the window. They told me they would have to re manufacture all windows. 2-3 days later I got a call from the owner of the company that has consulted with his architecural dept. The owner told me it may be possible to do something with the aluminum frame....to add on to it, or something to that effect that will make the windows fit. I of course was very alarmed to hear this..seems as if though they are trying to get the easy way out and "rig" the windows in lieu of manufacturing new ones. I told him that I was very concerned about them passing inspection....it just didn't sound right. Has anyone here had the experience about making smaller windows that were measure incorrectly being able to fit into openings and pass inspection as well ? Is the owner feeding me a lot of hype or is it possible ? Your insight is greatly appreciated.

ps...the contract was sigend Aug. 6th and clearly states installation will take place 4-6 weeks after permit was pulled. The permit was pulled on Aug. 19th. Aren't they technically in violation of the contract ? Don't I have the right to ask for my 30% deposit back and find another company instead ?

heydade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #2

Co. installing my impact windows measured all wrong. Now they want to "rig" them in.

They measured the windows?
If so I'd insist the windows installed are the correct size
If your contract states 4-6 weeks after permit for installation that expires on the 30th by my count

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #3

We can help you to fill them in as this is a DIY site. You will need to contact a lawyer for other answers.
Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #4

Do you have a picture of the window installed ?

How short is too short ?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

If you are in Davie, you have the same tough codes we have in the Tampa Bay Area concerning excess space between structure and window frames. This sounds like, technically, they can get away with it. But in actuallity, they will be creating much of the same situation the codes were stiffened up to address.

See how your local building department feels about it.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #6

You paid for windows of the correct size - that is what should be provided. A workaround would not be satisfactory, IMHO.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #7

Vsheetz..I agree with you 100%. Here are some pics...the first 2 pics are of the sides of the windows and the second two pics are the top and bottom of the window. You can clearly see the wood they stuck into there for the time being. They could not put back the old window because it broke when they took it out. The owner of the company is going to call me tomorrow...it should be interesting to hear what he is going to say. First it was I was going to get new windows (another 3 week delay) and now it's "we can maybe fix them" yeah right. Like I said...stay tuned....can't wait to hear what he has to say. I am probably going to end up asking him for my 30% deposit back and if he says NO...then it's court time. I still can't believe how incompetent some of these companies are....it amazes me. By the way, the companies name is StormWise shutters or Storm Wise shutters with offices in Miami, Ft.Myers and port St.Lucie I believe.

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 09-29-2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: seperate pics - easier viewing
Old 09-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #8

If you accept the wrong windows you should also insist on a major discount.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #9

On the 1st pic that seems like a 2" gap ?
That would be unacceptable to me

Call the building Inspector too
If they say no go that is added support on your side
If you can say the building Inspector will not approve the installation then it's not just you refusing the windows
Not that you do not have a right to refuse them
Old 09-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #10

Just got off the phone with the owner. What a prick to say the least. As soon as I confronted him with the fact that this will NOT pass code, he says I had a condescending attitude and am very confrontational. Can you believe that ? He told me that he hasn't meet with the architecture yet and that he would call me in about an hour. I told him I don't want my windows RIGGED into place...and that there are 2 options. Option # 1.... remanufacture new windows or # 2......give me my deposit back and I will take my business elsewhere. When I mentioned about taking him to court if he doesn't give me my deposit back, he got angry and told me that I am confrontational again...then promptly said he will call me in 1 hour and HUNG UP. Yes....hung up. Can you believe that ?
Old 09-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Hopefully this will get resolved without legal action but I would stand firm. If they delivered the wrong size windows they are not fulfilling their end of the contract. Obviously he doesn't want to have to eat the mistake of the person who measured. You might check with your State Attorney General to see if there are other complaints or is any sort of class action already. This may or may not help your cause. You mentioned an architect? Why isn't he or she handling this for you? I hope the windows were not made to his/her drawings and the dimensions were off or someone framed the window openings wrong.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Hopefully this will get resolved without legal action but I would stand firm. If they delivered the wrong size windows they are not fulfilling their end of the contract. Obviously he doesn't want to have to eat the mistake of the person who measured. You might check with your State Attorney General to see if there are other complaints or is any sort of class action already. This may or may not help your cause. You mentioned an architect? Why isn't he or she handling this for you? I hope the windows were not made to his/her drawings and the dimensions were off or someone framed the window openings wrong.

The architect I am referring to is THEIR architecural department.....not my personal architect. I am only replacing my old 22 year old windows.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #13

None of the gaps are actually more than 1 inch....they are more like 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. I spoke to the owner again who assured me that they can install it correctly and that it will still pass inspection. I said OK....BUT...under the condition that final payment is made only after final inspection is PASSED. He seems 100% confident that it will pass.

Last edited by heydade; 09-29-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #14

You are under TAS 201, 202, and 203 or the "Dade codes" in Davie.

There is pretty much no "wiggle room" under these codes. The window manufacturer as well as the installer has to build and install the windows EXACTLY as specified.

Under no circumstances would I agree to allow them to "fix" the problem on site.
oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon View Post
You are under TAS 201, 202, and 203 or the "Dade codes" in Davie.

There is pretty much no "wiggle room" under these codes. The window manufacturer as well as the installer has to build and install the windows EXACTLY as specified.

Under no circumstances would I agree to allow them to "fix" the problem on site.
So if there is a 3/4 inch gap on all sides, then it would not pass code ??