Clothes Dryer Sucking All My Cool Air Outside - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

clothes dryer sucking all my cool air outside

walked into the laundry room today with the dryer running and noticed quite a bit of suction with the door closed. Just started thinking of how much of our cooled or heated air in the home is expelled through the dryer vent to the outside. Would it be practical to set up some sort of vent intake on the dryer or in the laundry room to circulate air only from that room or how about sucking air from the attic where the air is already 150 degrees? Electric dryer

Advertisement

shank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

You may want to check the vent hood for too much lint. Sounds like it may be stuck open when drying is not running.

Advertisement

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

I asked about that once thinking there was a lot of hot air being sent outdoors and was told it's not a good idea to vent into the house. Mostly it's because of the humidity (even though I live in a dry climate) in that air as well as needing additional filters to stop the lint that made it through the dryer trap and into the hose.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Dusty: so right NEVER EVER vent dryer into house or attic; besides the high heat, humidity you also have fumes fron the detergents,cleaners etc. Go outside and open that vent and clean it out. If it is really heavily clogged then you have to pull dryer and remove the hose from it, clean the DRYER out, and all from inside the hose also.Not fun but at times necessary
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,558

The OP doesn't want to vent the dryer into the house. She wants to suck air from outside or from the attic into the dryer.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (08-02-2012), Fix'n it (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Special User

Rewards Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred333 View Post
That is interesting. I have never heard of sucking the air from the attic.
I realize this is a 4-year-old thread, but my last house had openings to the crawlspace and to the attic in the mechanical room that housed the gas furnace and gas water heater (1983 construction). When we first moved in I thought these openings were odd, but now I realize they were for combustion air intake in what was allegedly a "tight" house. So, an attic/crawl air intake for a dryer does seem like a reasonable proposition to avoid losing conditioned air from the rest of the house.

But things that seem reasonable aren't always a good idea. Anyone else have any thoughts?
tylernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 616

Its a reasonable idea. But one could also just crack a window open near the dryer, when running it. In the summer, I try to run my dryer early in the morning or later in the evening, so that it will be sucking cooler outside air into the house.

Advertisement

SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote