Cloth Inside Walls - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cloth inside walls

Whats up guys-

I have an older house, just opened up one of the walls. Any idea what this heavy duty type cloth is that is stapled to the studs? Cavities are empty. I'm wondering if it serves a purpose or is some type of primitive insulation?

Thanks!
-Greg

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/x...b/DSC00109.jpg

Advertisement

c00rdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cloth inside walls

Where are you located ?

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cloth inside walls

Looks like canvas. Maybe it was a houseboat in a previous life.
I can't see any point in keeping it in place.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,052

Cloth inside walls

It may be the outside cloth they used with pipe insulation containing asbestos. Are the pieces of uniform width? Like the circumference of a 3" or 6" water pipe? Maybe a plumber owned the house... I hope it's only as Ron said.

I hope those are only ceiling joists above......

Be safe, Gary
Old 07-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Cloth inside walls

I'm located in NJ. I hope its not asbestos! It just has the feel and look of canvas fabric, I guess I'll throw on my respirator and use the HEPA filter on the shop vac to clean up anything.

What you see above is some blocking that was used for a drop ceiling, followed by an older ceiling above it, and the joists are above that. Problem is that the canvas is attached behind the blocking so I'd have to take it all down to remove it all. That or just cut it like I was planning to do. If there's a possibility there is asbestos though I guess I'd be better off taking down the blocking.
c00rdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,052

Cloth inside walls

Don't get upset yet.... I thought maybe. Wait for other posters like an older plumber that worked with the wrap. (Older than me- 62). Don't disturb any more than necessary, keep the fibers out of the air. It may be canvas, though pipe insulation in a wall sounds more likely.... If not an exterior wall, I would say the chances are slim.

Be safe, Gary
Old 07-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

Cloth inside walls

Get it wet before you dink with it.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Cloth inside walls

I've seen something similar in homes here in S. GA. which were built before, say the 1940's. And, I've only seen it on what would have been "upper-class" homes. What was behind the plaster walls here was a thick brown paper, not canvas material. The first that I saw, I was amazed that it had stood up for so many years behind the plaster as it did. One theory offered to me by an older man was that it may have been used to reduce drafts, made sense to me. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:46 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 256

Cloth inside walls

It was used to slow down drafts. A friend had it in his house, built about 1900. It was fastened to the inside of the 1/2 x 4" boards. Wallpaper was the next layer. But my 1890 house has no fabric. But I have plaster.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:35 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

Cloth inside walls

It looks like canvas to me. Is that some sort of an insulation? Maybe it was used as a divider when the walls are not yet built. Just a thought.

Advertisement

MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote