DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   General DIY Discussions (
-   -   Cloth inside walls (

c00rdb 07-18-2010 03:58 PM

Cloth inside walls
Whats up guys-

I have an older house, just opened up one of the walls. Any idea what this heavy duty type cloth is that is stapled to the studs? Cavities are empty. I'm wondering if it serves a purpose or is some type of primitive insulation?


Scuba_Dave 07-18-2010 04:52 PM

Where are you located ?

Ron6519 07-18-2010 06:09 PM

Looks like canvas. Maybe it was a houseboat in a previous life.
I can't see any point in keeping it in place.

Gary in WA 07-18-2010 07:53 PM

It may be the outside cloth they used with pipe insulation containing asbestos. Are the pieces of uniform width? Like the circumference of a 3" or 6" water pipe? Maybe a plumber owned the house... I hope it's only as Ron said.

I hope those are only ceiling joists above......

Be safe, Gary

c00rdb 07-19-2010 09:16 AM

hope not
I'm located in NJ. I hope its not asbestos! It just has the feel and look of canvas fabric, I guess I'll throw on my respirator and use the HEPA filter on the shop vac to clean up anything.

What you see above is some blocking that was used for a drop ceiling, followed by an older ceiling above it, and the joists are above that. Problem is that the canvas is attached behind the blocking so I'd have to take it all down to remove it all. That or just cut it like I was planning to do. If there's a possibility there is asbestos though I guess I'd be better off taking down the blocking.

Gary in WA 07-19-2010 11:48 AM

Don't get upset yet.... I thought maybe. Wait for other posters like an older plumber that worked with the wrap. (Older than me- 62). Don't disturb any more than necessary, keep the fibers out of the air. It may be canvas, though pipe insulation in a wall sounds more likely.... If not an exterior wall, I would say the chances are slim.

Be safe, Gary

xxPaulCPxx 07-19-2010 12:46 PM

Get it wet before you dink with it.

Thurman 07-19-2010 01:03 PM

I've seen something similar in homes here in S. GA. which were built before, say the 1940's. And, I've only seen it on what would have been "upper-class" homes. What was behind the plaster walls here was a thick brown paper, not canvas material. The first that I saw, I was amazed that it had stood up for so many years behind the plaster as it did. One theory offered to me by an older man was that it may have been used to reduce drafts, made sense to me. David

fireguy 07-20-2010 10:46 PM

It was used to slow down drafts. A friend had it in his house, built about 1900. It was fastened to the inside of the 1/2 x 4" boards. Wallpaper was the next layer. But my 1890 house has no fabric. But I have plaster.

MagicalHome 07-27-2010 01:35 AM

It looks like canvas to me. Is that some sort of an insulation? Maybe it was used as a divider when the walls are not yet built. Just a thought.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1