Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #1

Share |

closing a gap in my roof (not from water, from pests)

I know this isn't the pest subforum but I'm not dealing with the pests <squirrels> anymore at all, I've taken care of that.

However, I need to seal the spot they were nesting in, and honestly have no idea on how to approach this. I attached a pic of the spot, it's gonna need to be an "L" shape, but I dunno what to use or how to do it

The main problem i'm having is access, I can't even fit a standard screwdriver in there (my stubby one fits, but I can't get a drill in for any pilot holes or anything..). So it's an L-shaped opening, not too big, but I dunno what to use (aluminum flashing? wood?), or how to even affix anything since I can't really fit anything in there to work with!

<<oh and about the nesting, I've verified they didn't get into the main attic, the spot in question is a thin slice of aluminum flashing that bridges my office onto the (insanely crappy) 'roofing', if you want to call it that, over my screened porch>>
joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
Eibwen

Joey...

[aint no pic that I can see]
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:37 PM   #3

my bad!
Attached Thumbnails
closing a gap in my roof (not from water, from pests)-roof-gap.jpg  
Old 10-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
Kyle Emerick

Based upon what I can see, I would just use the hard foam in a can stuff. If that is going to be an eyesore, you can always use flashing and then paint it match the surrounding area.

If your not familar with the foam I was referring to, here it is and it can be found at major home centers (Lowes or Home Depot): http://greatstuff.dow.com/greatstuff/diy/index.htm

Or do both...

Last edited by kemerick; 10-17-2007 at 08:19 PM.
kemerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #5

And with winter coming .... just where are these little baby squirrels supposed to seek refuge from the harsh winter....
Where is peta when ya' need em' ......
JGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #6

Great stuff? Really? I had considered cutting a piece of wood to fit that, and then using great stuff to seal the edges, but didn't even think it'd be suitable for that..

About the squirrels, well, I didn't really wanna mention it since it may not be 100% on the up and up, I dunno, but I only found out about them because I was doing some electrical work on a light fixture a few feet from that gap and saw a baby squirrel hanging off the ledge. I took a pic, went inside, came back out, and it had fallen 8' to the ground!! It was a 5 week old squirrel, it's eyes were not even opened yet. Anyways I've been playing mommy with him and have learnd a TON about squirrels. He's about 9 or 10 weeks old now, almost off of his formula, and will be going to a rehabilitation place real soon.

About the other squirrels, they'll be fine and closing the space off was approved by a 'squirrel expert'. Apparently once the rest of the babies are old enough to be up and about, they'll go foraging with mom in the morning and the afternoon, and it's okay to remove the nest while they're gone since the mom will have a back up!

(figured it's not cool to tease with a story like that, so here's the little guy hanging off the ledge before his 8', eyes closed fall, and the 2nd and 3rd pic are progress pics.)
Attached Thumbnails
closing a gap in my roof (not from water, from pests)-squirrel-hanging-ledge.jpg   closing a gap in my roof (not from water, from pests)-napping-after-feeding-sept-2nd.jpg   closing a gap in my roof (not from water, from pests)-munching-some-carrots-oct3.jpg  
Old 10-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
Kyle Emerick

Looking at the image some more, it looks like gutters are right there next to it all so I would use the foam to fill the void and then use flashing. I would use Gorilla Glue to bond the flashing to the back side of the fascia behind the gutter. Then I would use screws to attach the bottom edge of the flashing to the wood below (it looks like wood). Last, paint the flashing white and then your gonna have weather proof and critter proof area.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
Kyle Emerick

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyboy View Post
Great stuff? Really? I had considered cutting a piece of wood to fit that, and then using great stuff to seal the edges, but didn't even think it'd be suitable for that..
I have used Great Stuff to fill all kinds of voids and so far it has lasted years standing up to the outside elements.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
Eibwen

I think I would go with some trim or flashing then use the foam and or caulk for the smaller voids.

That squirrel will be be your bud for life!

They are a hoot to watch.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
I think I would go with some trim or flashing then use the foam and or caulk for the smaller voids.

That squirrel will be be your bud for life!

They are a hoot to watch.
I think I'm gonna use lathe as a skeleton for the great stuff, because I can easily bend that into the hole and then just spray, we'll see how it goes I'm gonna do it this afternoon.

I'm thinking of squeezing lathe into place (with 'feet' on top and bottom so it doesn't tip), cutting a piece of flashing, spray great stuff, put flashing in place and keep it there with something heavy so it doesn't move during expansion, then once it's expanded I'll put a few screws through the flashing into the great stuff block to help anchor it.

I hope he'll be my bud for life - I may've forgot to mention I'm not keeping him as a pet, he's being prepped for a natural release. He's getting pretty close, the most liberal recommendations say he can go into the wild already but after raising the lil guy from an infant I don't want to chance letting him out before he's fully ready for it, only to see him end up dead from a cat or something! He's really close though, and the way squirrel's work with home ranges it's likely he'll stay local to my backyard!
Old 10-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #11
Eibwen

Screen or lathe would be a good idea to reinforce the foam.

My brother had one he raised and then released... That squirrel stayed in the area and would run to him when he went outside almost like a pet dog!
Old 10-20-2007, 11:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Screen or lathe would be a good idea to reinforce the foam.

My brother had one he raised and then released... That squirrel stayed in the area and would run to him when he went outside almost like a pet dog!
haha that's awesome! It's what I'm hoping for.. The (extremely simplified) way to release is 'caging' them somewhere outdoors but protected (like my screened patio), and slowly acclimating them to the area, then one day leaving the door open (they'll come back and forth for a few days while building their nest). The cool thing though is that squirrels have home ranges that, if they leave, they'll be extremely uncomfortable and scared. So by caging him this way he's learning my backyard as his range, and when it's time for release he'll likely station himself really close to my house, and because he's really comfortable with me I'm hoping for him to be like your brother's!!
Old 10-20-2007, 09:48 PM   #13

Joey,
Very nice....
JGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:29 AM   #14

Use 1/2" hardware cloth... the wire type. Squirrils well eat thru the foam.
mdlbldrmatt135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlbldrmatt135 View Post
Use 1/2" hardware cloth... the wire type. Squirrils well eat thru the foam.
I got it up already, it should be *pretty* secure, I'll definitely keep an eye on it. I used lathe as a frame for the foam, and put aluminum flashing over the foam/frame afterwards.