Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #1

Share |

Clogged Outdoor Drain

Hi,

I just moved in to my new house and have many small projects that I don't know where to start.

One thing that I noticed right outside my basement door in the yard is that the drain that I guess prevents flooding when it rains is quite clogged. I went to Home Depot and rented a rotor snake but that just got caught in dirt and mud and some water went down but then it rained and the water just sat there.

My question, what do I do now to unclog this drain and the one in my basement that has the same problem?

Thanks.

Dru

management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #2

Clogged Outdoor Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by management View Post
Hi,

I just moved in to my new house and have many small projects that I don't know where to start.

One thing that I noticed right outside my basement door in the yard is that the drain that I guess prevents flooding when it rains is quite clogged. I went to Home Depot and rented a rotor snake but that just got caught in dirt and mud and some water went down but then it rained and the water just sat there.

My question, what do I do now to unclog this drain and the one in my basement that has the same problem?

Thanks.

Dru
I guess i would find out where the end is and work from their back. You may need to see if you can how long from the intake and where the end is and get a snake rent one and snake it from the end to the intake. that is my take on this.

del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #3

Clogged Outdoor Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
I guess i would find out where the end is and work from their back. You may need to see if you can how long from the intake and where the end is and get a snake rent one and snake it from the end to the intake. that is my take on this.
Thank you for the input. I think the drain just goes into the sewage system but will double check. Even if I was at the end I would have the same problem with the snake not being able to rip it up and get it out. The bigger snakes can bend around corners.
management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #4

Clogged Outdoor Drain

The drain might not go anywhere, it might just be a grate covering a hole. Getting the packed debris out of there would be the first thing I'd do. The snake you're using night be too small to get through all that packed dirt.
They sell fittings for your hose that produce a concentrated flow of water. Flush the inside with that while vacuuming up the water to keep the area from flooding. Keep feeding the hose in the drain for a few feet to clear the debris and then try the snake again.
If that snake won't work, they sell snakes that you can attach to a drill for a small price. You should be able to clear the blockage with that.
If there's no pipe under the grate, you're on to plan "B".
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #5

Clogged Outdoor Drain

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.

Dru
I would suggest having your drains scoped since you just bought the house. This should run you between 85 and 125 dollars. This will tell you if there are any issues with your drains in the house.
MBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #6

Clogged Outdoor Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBatson View Post
I would suggest having your drains scoped since you just bought the house. This should run you between 85 and 125 dollars. This will tell you if there are any issues with your drains in the house.
How do you have the drains scoped if they're clogged with dirt?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
VIPlumber (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #7

Clogged Outdoor Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by management View Post
Thank you for the input. I think the drain just goes into the sewage system but will double check. Even if I was at the end I would have the same problem with the snake not being able to rip it up and get it out. The bigger snakes can bend around corners.
The snake i was talking about is for the stool only it is 4 feet and is big so as to go over the bend in the stool. That is incase their is a toy in their ??? Now the other bigger snake will cut root's so it will do the job. Get a pro or rent it your self it will do the job back to the inlet of the tolit if need be. Their is a clean out or should be . It will have a 4" cap on it . That is where you put the snake in and go eather way . Now to see if their is a plug run water in their and if it goes down and not back up than i would belive it to be the other way ??? good luck

del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote