DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cleaning up /pointing brick

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  gordonw 
#1 ·
I deciding to expose an old chimney in our house, and the brick work was repaired pointed at some point, i believe with cement and not S mortar. The chimney is lined, and I really don't want to tear out the cement to put the right mortar.

But whoever did it did not clean off the bricks well, I started using some old sandpaper just to see and it seemed to take the cement off pretty well, as well as the top layer of dirty brick. Could I do this, and just seal the brick with some sort of polyurethane?

#2 ·
If what you're doing works, continue the process. I wouldn't use poly on the brick, though. There are masonary sealers to use, if you want it sealed.
Ron

#3 ·
Exposed chimney

I have removed the plaster that covered a brick chimney that goes through the floor and ceiling of one of the rooms in our 1905 vintage house.

I'm going to clean up the bricks and then seal the whole thing, but I don't want it to be shiny. What sort of sealer would work best?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.